1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Glen, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Glen

Glen Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My garden's mainly clay. Can anyone suggest the best treatment for this to turn into a lawn area and borders. Thanks

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,665
    Is it anew garden i.e. is it a new house, just built or has it been cultivated before.
    pete2255

3. Glen

Glen Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No it's not a new house, it's about 20 yrs old, but the garden was just left to grow a mixture of wild /stroke cottage effect. Whilst trying to keep many of the plants i want redisgn it so there's a bit more order than chaos.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,665
    I would think that as the garden has been under some kind of cultivation, when you say clay, you mean a clay soil. Which although heavy is not a problem, I also have clay, and if you treat it right its O K. Firstly you have to wait till spring until it starts to dry out digging and walking on the soil when wet does more harm than good.
    Clay soil dries out slower, which is an advantage in the summer months it also holds on to nutrients better so less feeding is required.
    Some addition of organic material i. e. compost or similar will always help. Dig in well rotted manure if you can get it.
    Sometimes its better to concentrate on one area at a time and not try to do it all at once.