Clearing a Veggie Patch

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by MrMorgan, Oct 26, 2011.

1. MrMorgan

MrMorgan Gardener

Ratings:
    +42
    We have a blank canvas in setting up a bigger veggie patch as we have a small paddock. We've worked out where the sun sits for the best part of the day and so I have an idea of where it needs to go.

Now clearing the area - its thick, well-established meadow grass so if I'm looking at a patch say 10m x 10m then do I need to clear all the grass and if so what is the best way. As everything in our house moves at slow time with kids and work then I probably need to start now to have it ready for spring.

Is it just a case of lifting the turf and clearing weeds or is there an easier solution?

As always thanks for any suggestions they are genuinely appreciated.

MrM

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi Mr Morgan.

If it were a couple of months ago, I would have suggested using Glyphosate (weed killer), but this only works while weeds/plants are in active growth. You COULD use something laid over the top to block out the light, but this would mean putting off the digging, probably for a few months. So, I would say that your best bet is to get digging now. As you say, taking off the turf then clearing any weeds, although there's a good chance that once the turf is out of the way, there won't be any other weeds, except maybe a few dandelions. I would suggest that you don't get rid of the turf (or turves) as these can be put to one side, stacked upside down for future use. When digging, don't try to make it look 'nice', just leave it in clods, the frost/cold weather will take care of the rest. Try to get in as much organic matter as you can, manure being the preferred choice of many, including myself. Just remember though, 'root' crops don't like it. I'm not an expert, but what I've said works for me :thumb: Hope this helps.

Cheers...Freddy.

• Like Like x 2
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,968
      Good advice from Freddy, all I can add is that you could double dig your plot, throw the turves upside down into the bottom spit as you work along. They will provide a good source of organic matter and nutrients in the future.

Double digging is hard work though and the benefits are not great on some soil types.

• Like Like x 1
      • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,881
        Lift the turf in squares and stack upside somewhere close at hand, then rough dig the plot. Personally, as long as the site is free draining, I wouln`t bother double digging. Once the turves have composted the soil can be spread back on the plot.:dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
        • MrMorgan

MrMorgan Gardener

Ratings:
          +42
          Or what about a scorched earth policy? We're having a bonfire Saturday and I read somewhere about regenerating heathland through controlled burning. Could I not put the bonfire on the soon-to-be veggie patch and burn the grass away?

I know it seems like I am dodging picking up a spade but if I burnt the grass away then with all that nice wood ash surely I would be feeding the soil and saving my back??

I know there is a flaw to this plan somewhere so please feel free to highlight the error of my ways!!

MrM

• daitheplant

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,881
          Lazy people don`t grow good veg.:dbgrtmb:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          ....But he with added potash has a more fertile soil.

• daitheplant

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,881
          Potash is water soluble, so as soon as it gets wet, it is gone. What good will it do to the garden with nothing in it?

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +48,968
          It would be better to skim off the turf and compost it or dig it in deep rather than burn it. Soil needs humus to improve it so burning it is a waste in my opinion.

• MrMorgan

MrMorgan Gardener

Ratings:
          +42
          Thank you all, the blade of the spade shall be put to good use this weekend and I shall put the matches away :WINK1:

• Like Like x 1