Clearing Lichen from Pots

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lakeside, Jan 8, 2013.

1. lakeside

lakeside Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +14
    These are standard clay pots and troughs covered in green lichen, now emptied. I am disabled so would appreciate any tips. Thanks

2. KevinH

KevinH Guest

Ratings:
    +36
    Not knowing what kind of disability you have or how it affects you, it is difficult to suggest an answer.
    A friend might help. Or if you have a bit of cash, go to a chemist and ask for hydrogen peroxide and mix that in generously with water (Use 100ml 9%HP to a good-sized bucket of water) and steep your clay pots in. A gentle agitation will also help remove the muck. Don't have your hands in the solution for too long though and wash your hands well afterwards. Bleach is also an idea but it is difficult to remove the residue, especially from porous pots and so will need very good rinsing.
    Does any of that help? Or can you explain how the difficulties presents itself?

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just this minute cleaned a clay pot with a dab of bleach and a scouring pad. Came up quite clean.

I used bleach as its for indoors & I wanted a head start over the damping off fungus. It'll probably come anyway though.

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Cross posted there, I should add the pot I cleaned was already saturated so was easy to wash off.

5. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    I would say life is too short to remove lichen from pots.

Wait until summer, leave them in a dry, sunny place and Nature will do the job for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • lakeside

lakeside Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +14
      Madahhlia: The pots have been getting worse for years left in the sun! Thanks Fat Boy.