Clematis died after only a few weeks!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by hannahm2010, Jul 25, 2010.

1. hannahm2010

hannahm2010 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted a clematis with lovely purple flowers. It has already started to flower when I purchased it and carried on flowing with new buds for 3 weeks. I watered it regularly. Alll of a sudden, all the flowers have shrivvled up and gone brown and its all wilted. What have I done?!?

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Good evening Hannah and welcome to the site. I don`t think you have done anything wrong. I believe your plant has succumed to Clematis Wilt. It isn`t dead, cut it down to ground level and it should reshoot from the rootstock.:gnthb::old:

3. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Yeah, they're hardy little so and so's, so don't fret. You did plant it nice and deep? Unlike other plants that you leave with the crown exposed, clems like to be buried deep, about 4-6" under the surface. And put some stones or slabs around it too, to keep it all nice and cool. They don't like their roots to get hot.

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Welcome to the forum Hannah.
    I'll second Dai.
    I don't think you did anything wrong. Follow Dai's advice and I think you will save your plant.

5. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    It has happened to mine TWICE but it has comes back.

6. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    I'm afraid it's just their way of making sure you don't take them for granted. Mind you, the viticella varieties don't suffer from wilt. And they put on a fantastic show. I tend to stick to them now.

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I have one like that. The hot, hot weather hasn't helped this summer - the poor thing bloomed it's little heart out, then shrivelled up brown a few weeks ago.