Clematis in pots

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mowgley, Feb 25, 2006.

1. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    Hi everyone [​IMG]

Looking to plant a few clematis or climbing plants in some pots, but not sure if they will do well. Patio gets sun from around early morning till around 1pm in the summer. Can any recommend any variaties and if they have any success in pots, if so what size pots do you use?
    Many thx Sean [​IMG]

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    there's a nice little yellow-flowered one that's sold especially for baskets, but I can't remember its name, sorry! I'll find out and get back to you. In fact, I have loads of seeds for it, if you'd like a few for nowt. Let me know by e-mail if you do.

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Most of my clematis are in pots but the oldest is only 4 years, the others 3 so I don't know the longterm answer. I have some small montanas and an armandii which I wouldn't recommed in pots as they will grow too large, also a heracleifolia which hopefully will make a large shrub so will be planted out.
    I am using 12-15" pots so quite large.They don't like their roots exposed to hot sun so use ceramic pots rather than plastic, cover with pebbles, stones etc and remember in summer containers dry out much more easily,so frequent watering. they will rely on artificial feeding as well.
    In winter containers are more susceptible to frosts and even hardy plants object to frozen roots, so protect with fleece or find a sheltered spot for winter.

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
  5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    p.s. I grew several from seed last year, and they did very well - unfortunately for me, I sold them all in hanging baskets! They're certainly a bit different.

6. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    thank you all for your input.
    Will give them ago, brought a couple of ceramic pots today. Not sure variaties i will go for, will let you know the results later on!
    again many thx
    Sean [​IMG]

7. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    'Er Indoors is the Head Gardener here, and she is a bit of a Clematis fan. (Is that possible?) After several years of pot culture of some, she is moving them into the open ground, as they don't seem to really thrive, long term, in containers. At the latest count she has over 100 varieties, and all of them will be in the ground this season. There is at least one in flower 365 days of the year.
    No doubt she has plans for the spare tubs.

8. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    'Er Indoors has just said that several clematis are good in pots. Niobe is her favourite.

9. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Pixie is a dwarf evergreen clem for a pot, which is usually readily available.

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    That sounds nice, Rich - must look out for it - great to give a bit of interest, climbing up the chains on a basket! :D

11. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Apologies for duff info, folks - it's not Radar Love that's suitable for hanging baskets, it's 'Sunstar'. The pictures on my seed packets are very similar, but Radar Love grows to 5-6m!! OOPS! [​IMG]
    Sending you both, Rossco!

12. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
  13. mims

mims Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What a useful resource Peter. Thanks.

14. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Have been looking for clematis pixie on T&M and seen that my original suggestion of Radar Love is one the T&M recommend for hanging baskets and containers!! So I was right after all,- I can't believe it!! Anyway - here's the link if you want to see what they have to say! http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en//product/2788/1/float

15. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Rossco - any joy on seedlings from the clematis? I have one so far from the sunstar batch - but I know when I grew them last year, they all came up gradually, not all at the same time.

I have some interesting sounding clematis from Chiltern seeds that may need some change in temperature to germinate - let me know if you'd like some - there are more than I'll be sowing for this year, that's for sure!! It's Clematis vitalba.