clematis not showing any signs of life???

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by helen calver, May 13, 2012.

1. helen calver

helen calver Apprentice Gardener

Housewife/Historic Hat & Costume Maker
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi
    i brought this beautiful double clematis a couple of years ago, it has been fine until now, there is just no signs of any new shoots/ leaf growth at all, i've have just checked the root ball and the roots seem crisp and not withered at all but i just dont know what could be wrong with it.
    any help appreciated.

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi Helen

Welcome to GC

Do you know the variety , is it growing in a pot or in the border how many stems does it have , whats your soil like well drained ?? realy wet over winter ?? .

I have had new plants wither and die the following year but later in the year it resprouted so dont give up on it yet

Spruce

3. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    If you scratch the stems near the bottom is there any sign of green underneath?

4. helen calver

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi spruce and merleworld, the clematis is in a large pot and has been outside all winter this did not affect it last year and had some lovely blooms on it, the soil is well drained, i dont know what it is called as the name tag broke up thus got rid of it. there does not seem to be any sign of green on it, the roots are crisp and some are cream in colour, i have lifted it out the soil to take a picture for you to see.

[​IMG]

5. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,889
    Did you by any chance take a picture of it when it was in bloom? if so, post the picture and somebody will identify it for you. :)

The roots to me look as though they're still alive, re-pot it in fresh soil and see if it sends up new shoots, don't forget to water it as the weather gets drier.

6. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi Helen

good photo but I bet you wish you were showing us some flower shots instead.

Hard to say what has killed it did it have any stems left on the plant , what size pot was it in and did it get waterloged over the winter drainage hole blocked, what compost did you use multi-purpose ??

Sorry for all the questions , if it was mine I would repot put to one side in the shade and you never know it may grow back later in the year , I know they can suffer from vine weevel but you would of spoted one by now pearly white grubs , clematis wilt thats when some or all of the plant wilt and all the leaves die off .

Hopfully others on here when they come in from the sunshine can help shed some light on to this

Spruce

7. helen calver

Ratings:
    +3
    hi spruce and sheal
    i'll take your advice and will repot it, fingers crossed that it may produce some shoots. i've found a picture to show you what it looked like in bloom.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      I have planted several clematis in a garden 3 yrs ago ...

last week, there were still a few that have not woken up yet, so don't give up hope yet

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,889
      A really pretty flower Helen but I haven't got a clue about the name. Armandii, our clematis expert is taking time out at the moment. When he's back I'm sure he'll be able to put his finger on it. :)

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,090
    • helen calver

Ratings:
      +3
      Thank you dim, sheal and madahhlia, it is interesting to hear that some clematis seem to be dormant for a while, i did not know that, so again fingers crossed that it will be alright, i really hope so as it is such a pretty plant. Anyway advice taken.
      Thanks again everyone :)

• Like Like x 1