Clematis question

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Lavender1, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Lavender1

Lavender1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can anyone please tell me whether I can grow two different types of clematis together? One of which is evergreen?

Thanks.

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    The quick answer is YES. I've grown 4 on one side of a Trellis entrance and 5 on the other. Just don't forget to plant them deep and feed regularly.:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
      Ratings:
      +502
      Lavender1, if you're thinking about keeping them potted the pot will have to be very large.
      Also consider their different pruning needs, a tangle of stems can make pruning a challenge to the best of us !

• Like Like x 1
      • kaitlynoneill

kaitlynoneill Apprentice Gardener

housewife
        Ratings:
        +0
        Hi, I'm new to this but I have a clematis question too. I have a 13 year old Nellie Moser growing up a fence that desperately needs replacing. If I cut it right back to about 6" above ground is this likely to kill it? If so, what is the best way I can tackle this, replace the fence without killing the clematis ?
        I really don't want to destroy the plant. Any ideas?

• Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
        Ratings:
        +502
        Kaitlyn, you'll not kill it, quite the reverse !
        You can cut them down to a few inches above ground level and they'll respond by sending up several new stems - use slug pellets liberally though or the new stems will be gobbled within days.

• Like Like x 2
        • theruralgardener

theruralgardener Gardener

Ratings:
          +149
          Hi, I don't think you'll kill it. It would be best to wait till mid/late winter if possible, when you could cut away all top growth and you might actually get away with leaving a bit more than 6inches by leaning the stems away from the fence. So long as you do it in the winter, you wont be snapping off new shoots. After replacing the fence, in late winter, you could remove any damaged stems and prune to healthy buds as usual, fanning out the stems again to your new fence wires/trellis etc.
          If you decided you really couldn't work around the plant, winter would be best to dig it up and move it too. Cut back to about 18 inches or so, dig as much of the root as possible up and replant a bit deeper in a good hole with a handfull of bonemeal and well watered in.
          I reckon you should be able to keep the clematis alive, even if you have to cut it hard back but you might not get your spring flowers in that first year, but you would get some in the second flush they make.
          If you do have to move it, remember it will need watering well until established again

• Like Like x 2
          • Lavender1

Lavender1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +0
            Thank you for the answer. I'm covering my fence with Clematis.