Clematis support wires

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Nel_Staffs, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Nel_Staffs

Nel_Staffs Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have a 'Pernille' planted in 2022 which has done very well and an autumn 2023 planted 'Jan Pawel' . Both were 2 year old plants bought from Thorncroft. Any day now, I'm installing the Gripple wire support system. I just wondered what height the lowest horizontal wires should be and how to support the new growth emerging from the soil until it reaches the wire? Any advice welcome :spinning:

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,896
    Its up to you really its not the biggest clematis variety , It is a group 3 clematis so hard pruned to around a foot late winter , clematis viticella are a bit bushy which tend to start flowering halfway up with the most at the top . You can always use a cane to tye in until it reaches the lower wires. You can grow these types of clematis on shrubs if you like or use an existing climber like a rose / wisteria as a climbing frame .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +15,328
      As Perki says, a simple cane up to the support, or three if you've got multiple stems at ground level, so you can fan them out. Soft string tied tightly round cane, then looped round Clematis stems.

• Nel_Staffs

Nel_Staffs Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +45
      Thank you @Perki and @noisette47
      :)

Now if it will just stop raining, so I can stand on the squelchy border..:gaah:

• Agree Agree x 1