Climber advice

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Jul 28, 2024.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,824
    Ladies and Gents, we have a lovely new member with us @DaifraeFife who is needing some help on the below. I am sure that you will give Dai not only a warm GC welcome, but the help needed:

Can anyone offer some suggestions or help ?

I’d like to plant some kind of climber against a fence . Primarily as we would like to get a little more privacy but also as we both would like some “colour” in our garden.
    Problem is it would have to be pots we use as the ground is concreted .

Currently have pots of sweet peas which are lovely but we think it would be nicer with something all year round. I would like a honeysuckle ( a nod to my parents garden ) but I understand even with care and regular attention they do not do well in pots so I decided to ask as we are relatively novice gardeners and would appreciate any suggestions on what to do.

As a point of interest, I’ve just joined and am impressed on how good this site is

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,719
    Welcome @DaifraeFife

Can we have some more information about the planting site. Which direction does the fence face? Is it a shady garden? How tall is the fence? Assuming your location is Fife?

3. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,272
    Many clematis will be fine on pots, and there are varieties for every aspect, so that might be suitable. The early ones grow from the existing framework, so that would be better than the late ones which get cut back each year, as you'd still have some cover through the dormant period. Many of them prefer a drier environment too, so containers are ideal for that.
    The alpinas, in particular, will do well and can cover a good area once established, and I have a macropetala [Lemon Dream] which is also very vigorous, especially this year as the weather has been so mild, so much more vigorous than normal!
    Mine are all in raised beds, to keep them drier, and one is in a tiny space, although it can get down into the ground below, but that isn't particularly inspiring soil there! It's Clem alpina Constance and covers a decent area.

Most of those early ones will be perfectly fine in Fife too. The koreanas are iffy here - I can't keep them alive no matter how good a site I find for them. Too wet :smile:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • CatDouch

CatDouch Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +583
      Hi @DaifraeFife I’ve got 4 clematis growing in pots on my patio and all are doing really well. I took advice from a clematis nursery, they said to plant in a large pot, and to water regularly and feed weekly in the growing season and it’s worked for mine.

I’ve got Koreana Amber in the front pot which has grown over 10 feet high, it doesn’t need pruning so over winter you’ve still got the framework for cover, it flowers from April and I’m still getting flowers now. I’m really pleased with this clematis and it receives lots of compliments from visitors.
      IMG_3854.jpeg

• Like Like x 7