Climber I've Inherited?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Soup1, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Soup1

Soup1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +66
    We bought a piece of garden off our neighbour and have spent a year watching what appears. This climber didn't put on much growth last year so I cleared the ground around it and put in a new frame and it's going better this year but I have no idea what it is?
    I've attached two photos; one to show a close up of the leaves (haven't seen any flowers at all) and one to show it's overall habit (the stems appear to be red?)
    Anyone any idea for me please so I can nurture it properly?
    Many thanks :-)[​IMG][​IMG]

2. scillonian

scillonian Gardener

Ratings:
    +238
    That looks to me like the fern leaved Clematis, Clematis cirrhosa balearica. It is one of the winter flowering Clematis.

• Like Like x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,075
      I was thinking clematis by the growth habit, but not seen one like that before.

• Soup1

Soup1 Gardener

Ratings:
      +66
      :hapfeet: Great! Thanks @scillonian :pathd:I've consulted the world that is Google for more images and I think you're right :yes:. Until I see the flowers I will have no idea what variant I've got but at least I know that I've got to wait until winter to reveal the final part of the puzzle :snooze:

It should've occured to me that it would have been 'yet another' Clematis as my neighbour planted several around the plot that I am discovering so she was clearly a fan.
      I'll post a photo when it finally flowers to end the story :)

• Like Like x 2