climber plant/shrub wanted to cover fence 25ft x 6 ft

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by keithhampson, Mar 3, 2012.

1. keithhampson

keithhampson Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, I want to cover some fencing with some attractive climber as cheaply as possible, I would prefer an evergreen, the fencing has spaces between each wood panel so a climber that will cover the gaps in would be most useful, what are my options and the benefits of each plant?

Keith

2. keithhampson

keithhampson Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Also I forgot to ask, how many plants will I need to cover the whole fence so its thick?

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Helo Keith ... you could try Fallopia baldschuanica (Russian Vine) but I don't believe it is an evergreen. You would probably only need three to cover your fence quickly.

Hopefully someone will coe along and tell you of an equally good evergreen for your situation.

4. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352

Victoria

Watch the backlash on that sugestion:sofa::heehee:

Ceanothus 5 plants I know its not a climber but I think would work well

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Clematis armandii perhaps (evergreen)

Pyracantha - looks good along a fence. Evergreen and devilishly fierce thorns (that won't matter if its just on the fence, but if you also need it as a deterrent !! then this is the one for you :)

Trachelospermum jasminoides would look nice - and it will "come through" the fence and the flowers will look nice from the other side. Can't remember if it is hardy, or not.

• Like Like x 1
      • keithhampson

keithhampson Gardener

Ratings:
        +3
        I thought about Pyracantha but it seems expensive, how many Pyracantha would I need for a thick hedge?

• loveweeds

loveweeds Gardener

Ratings:
        +210
        hedera helix is evergreen, attaches itself to the fence BUT grows quite slow (would take a few years...), the variegated forms look nicer

Fallopia (Russian Vine) is a very quick grower BUT unfortunately deciduous like Victoria said. Can grow up to 3mtr in one year, you might even just get 2 plants because your fence is not very high and the plants have not much space to spread when fully grown

evergreen lonicera henryi seems a nice idea(heard about it but can give no recommendations whether its a good plant and about its price..)
        Lonicera henryi - HENRY'S HONEYSUCKLE - Rainyside.com

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,341
        Fallopia (russian vine) you will be popular, it will not only cover your fence, but everyone elses fence washing line and house in a few years :-)

Jack McHammocklashing

• Like Like x 1
        • Victoria

Lady of Leisure
          Ratings:
          +55,156
          I certainly appreciate the invasive aspect of Russian Vine ... but there are these implements called secateurs which one could use from time to time .... :whistle: .... in fact, I am almost positive these implements would have to be used with whatever climber is put in position ... :WINK1: Actually, I strangely had to use this implement today in the massive cutback of my Honeysuckles (various) and other climbers running rampant here ... :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
          • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +23,091
            Eccromocarpus scaber - cheap (I have thousands of seeds), evergreen, hardy despite what the books say, good for bees and not too heavy as to be a burden on a weakening fence.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can add annuals to it every year to break it up. Try Tropaeolum peregrinum (Canary Creeper).................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would recommend a climber that twines or uses tendrils to hang on - you'll need to offer support such as garden wire (Lidl are selling packs of 2x30metre coated wire this week for £1.59). This type of climber will do less damage to the fence than one that has "aerial roots" such as Ivy or Campsis.

• Like Like x 1
            • Victoria

Lady of Leisure
              Ratings:
              +55,156
              Strangely, longk, I have never been able to get the Chilean Glory Vine going ... nor that particular Canary Creeper ... too hot and dry constantly perhaps? :scratch:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,668
              I replied with prices in your other thread:

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/...-cheapest-way-grow-pyracantha.html#post517351

where I gave links to Pyracantha available for £1.30 each, although bigger plants probably more prudent, so about £3.50 a plant.

I would have thought one-per-metre was plenty, they spread fairly, and you could make do with far fewer plants - you'd just have to wait a bit longer until the whole fence was covered.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +23,091
              How odd, although you're not the first to say that about the Canary Creeper. I do find that the Canary Creeper is best grown from your own seed, but you'll need to buy a packet to start with.

Of course, it does have to be said that I hate Clematis, so others may offer suggestions from the Clematis family that the OP may prefer!
              But for me the Eccromocarpus is perfect, and it has class. One word though - the Tresco hybrids are nowhere near as hardy as E.scaber.