Climber suitable for pot required

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Green giant, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Green giant

Green giant Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have a new trellis area which gets partial sun, and live near the Devon coast, so generally have mild conditions (fingers crossed). The trellis area hides some concrete bin areas, so I have to plant in pots - and want thick growth. I am looking for climbers, ideally evergreen or winter interest, which will suit the site and hide the bins. I was thinking about winter jasmine, but do you have any experience with this? We want something quite rampant in order to hide things! alterntively, I know there are some evergreen passion fruits, but am not sure if they suit pots or are foliage heavy enough.

Any comments/ alternative ideas welcome - and/or ideas for mixing evergreen and deciduous climbers to ensure some bin coverage all year long. NO IVY, though, as we have literally spent £1,000 clearing the entire garden of the wretched stuff.
    Many thanks!

2. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Hi there Green Giant

Winter jasmine is certainly tough, fast growing and evergreen, but it isn't really a climber - more a lax shrub.

If you're going to grow things in pots, you have to be prepared to water regularly - particularly in warm weather. About the only thing which will put up with a great deal of neglect is .... ivy! Where is your trellis? Passionflowers grow well in pots but they need a sunny position.

I have some trellis around a bin area and I've grown an early-flowering clematis called Clematis cirrhosa 'Freckles' on it. It has small speckled bells in the spring and nice ferny, evergreen leaves. It looks quite weedy when you first plant it - but beware. It needs to be chopped back regularly to prevent it from taking over, once established. I spent most of May cursing mine as I hacked back sturdy stems which had got everywhere. It might be easier to manage it in a pot, however.

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Winter Jasmine also needs (and relishes) a hard prune after flowering, so you would be left with nothing covering the area you want to hide, just when you will start using the garden again.

Whatever you decide on, make sure you have as big a pot as you can afford/find/lift/carry. It saves the heartache and bother of having to replant something that has outgrown a smaller pot.

4. Green giant

Green giant Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks! I shall look those up. The trellis is north facing in a south facing garden, but gets a lot of sun at one half, and partial sun at the other for most of the day. Does anyone have any experience with the purple grape vine vitis vinifera purpurea. I saw it yesterday and it looks stunning (for a southwest side of the trellis), but maybe is unsuitable for this aspect. Also, has anyone tried Constance Elliott passionflower? I have a feeling it needs sun, sun, sun.
    Thanks!
    suzie

5. Pete02

Pete02 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Green giant, I have a trellis across the bottom of my garden to hide my water butts
    and large unused flower pots, to give me instant cover I stapled some cheap black
    membrane to the back of the trellis and planted Clematis (in pots) to climb over and
    eventually cover the trellis, they aren't evergreen but the membrane keeps things out
    of sight while the plants are not growing.

Pete :gnthb: