Climbing plants and good all year round border plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Lee Savage, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Lee Savage

Lee Savage Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi everyone,

Been asking for a lot of opinion so I do apologise for the numerous threads.

However,

I’m looking for a good climbing plant that is preferably all year round foliage with some flowering?? If that exists. I was looking at Rosemary as a basic climber to start with.

I also would like opinion on what I can put in my new border. I’m ideally going to have a mixture of evergreen shrubs and bursts of colour throughout the year so any ideas at all welcome.

Thanks

2. Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    I planted several passion flowers last year and 2 of them have remained green here in Scotland throughout the winter and the others died back to hopefully return when the weather is better. They are pretty vigorous climbers and they have impressive flowers for most of the summer.

3. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Hiya Lee

Firstly, what sort of soil do you have.....heavy, light, well drained? Is it acid or alkaline....done a ph test? Sunny or shady border? Then we can suggest suitable plants

An all year round garden will give you so much more satisfaction so perhaps give consideration to colour in winter and autumn and not just spring and summer. Hellebores are good evergreen perennials to bring your garden to life in late winter to spring. You mentioned rosemary; if you want a good upright rosemary take the trouble to search out one with brilliant blue flowers (most upright rosemaries have insipid poor quality flowers) like Mrs. Reed's Dark Blue. A superb ornamental variety :)

Pyracantha is a good tough evergreen wall shrub....berries and flowers. Excellent but not suitable for young children (sharp thorns)
    Suitable climbers will depend on how cold or exposed your garden is esp in winter

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    if you have a warm wall or sheltered fence I can thoroughly recommend Jasmin - Trachelospermum jasminoides.. It is an evergreen climber, that is slowish growing.. Lovely shiney dark green leaves and gorgeous scented flowers that start white and turn cream.. I have mine on a west facing wall that is quite sheltered and it loves it there..
    This is not mine, I haven’t got any on here of it in flower, but this shows what it’s like..
    [​IMG]

For other plants I am partial to Hardy Geraniums, Ferns, I have a few that keep their foliage until this time of year, they are starting to look tatty now, but the new fronds are waiting to unfurl now.. Hebes, small clump forming bamboo, Sage, Coronilla- Scorpian vetch, Sweet box, Solomon’s seal, Day lilies they always grow as lots of different sorts.. :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +8,039
      Evergreen Honeysucle Lonicera Henryi is tough as old boots, vigorous enough to put in a good show even in the first year, but not an uncontrollable monster. It tends to grow top heavy i.e. the lower parts of the stems will become bare, but planting in front will hide it.

I'd go for the Jasmine for a warm, sunny position, but if the wall doesn't get much sun and is on the cold side, Henryi might be just the thing. I bought mine for £1.99 from Morrisons a few years ago :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Lee Savage

Lee Savage Gardener

Ratings:
        +24
        Brilliant,

Thank you again for your help. Some fantastic suggestions and will certainly help me when I choose.

Lee

• Friendly Friendly x 1