1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Climbing Roses in Pots

Discussion in 'Roses' started by luciusmaximus, Feb 20, 2017.

1. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    I thought peach and yellow for the buns - although I doubt they will care about the colour when they are eating them:snorky:

Today has been lovely, clear blue sky, sunshine and CALM ( after the chaos of yesterday ). I sat on caravan steps and basked whilst listening the birds tweeting and the whir of wings as the little ones flew back and forth over my head to the window feeder. I really did have every intention of planting some of the roses :doh:.

It occurred to me to think about where I live whilst I was sat there. Being so close to the coast and exposed we do get windswept quite a lot. I'm wondering if the roses will be Anglesey proof:snorky:. I did plan to put them around the back anywhere, where its more sheltered, but not completely protected.

I had a look at the roots earlier and all the roses have roots that are about the same length, 2-3 roots on each rose. No idea which ones I'm supposed to cut.

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Then don't, lucious, [​IMG]

• FloraPie

FloraPie Gardener

Ratings:
      +295
      I wonder if all rose petals taste the same or somehow different depending on colour? Never eaten them myself and didn't know that rabbits eat them! :heehee: Your own viewing pleasure is what matters :blue thumb:

Perhaps some people cut their rose roots.. but I am guessing that most don't. I rather think that a plant should know how many roots it needs!! Why not just go with your 'stick it in and see how it grows' option for now and as you live where it's windy... the more roots the better, no?!

There are many rose experts here at GC and so I'II just shush up now on this topic, but would love a pic or two if and when you could, even if they are just 'stalks' at the moment. It would be great to see how they come along over time:hapydancsmil:

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,594
        I have never pruned rose roots Lucius but I've not grown them in pots either, always the ground. :)

• Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          To be honest, the only people I know that trim Rose roots are the commercial growers who want the roses in Showroom condition. From what I understand they only do that every 3 or 4 years.:dunno::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            That is the Gardeners Corners motto ! "et vide quid potuisti" , stick it in and hope for the best :biggrin:
            I have two climbing roses in planters at the caravan , so I am going through a learning curve on these as well , with WOO's kind assistance :blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +89,840
              Good morning

I was asked by @luciusmaximus for advice about planting climbing roses in pots,so to give the Roses the best chance of surviving I respectfully suggested that if its good enough for rose-grower Robert Mattock who shows his prize winning Roses all in containers at Chelsea Flower Show every year he cuts back the thick Tap root of roses that are to be planted in containers in the long term, to encourage them to make more fibrous “feeding” roots, and thus prosper in what could be considered a slightly hostile environment.
              Carefully prune the roots to compensate for their being confined, and to encourage a strong, fibrous system. The fibrous roots take up the water and nutrients that produce a good crop of flower and healthy foliage.

Just because we have never heard of this practice or because not many people do it of indeed you want to just stick it in the ground and wait and see is entirely your prerogative :dunno:

• Like Like x 3
              • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                Ratings:
                +10,963
                I planted a climbing rose in a pot this year and spoke to them at David Austin roses and they said a pot at least 2ft deep, mycorrhizal fungi on roots and rose food in a moist compost/ mulched with manure .

IMG_6671.JPG

• Like Like x 3
                • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                  Ratings:
                  +6,899
                  I'm sure the buns will give them all a good taste testing:snorky:. I'll ask them for their opinions.

The idea of roses sprang from a discussion on another forum. I already have various herbs planted for the buns and I know rabbits will eat roses. They were something of an impulse buy admittedly. The only place I can put them is in back gardens and having discovered now about the large root systems I'm a bit concerned as to how far the roots will spread in the ground..Would the roots be strong enough to damage the septic tank or the house foundations? The runs are only a few feet away from both.

I could put all the roses in pots but that means more work for me and I'm trying to cut down on the number of pots I have. I have two cast iron baths in front of the house, which I painted and filled with herbs and rabbit friendly/ wildlife friendly flowers( they look very pretty in the summer :)), so I could get another bath to site in back garden an put one rose in that I suppose

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  Absolutely not, lucius.:snorky: Rose roots will spread at most 3' and about the same in depth. They're certainly not strong enough to undermine your House or the Septic Tank:nonofinger::dunno:

• Agree Agree x 3
                  • FloraPie

FloraPie Gardener

Ratings:
                    +295
                    :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:
                    :wub2:

:cry3: The barrels sounded perfect to me :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                      Ratings:
                      +6,899
                      That's good to hear ARMANDII :) I'm sure the buns will be greatly relieved :snorky:.

[QUOTE="FloraPie, post: 1066478, member: 19633"

:cry3: The barrels sounded perfect to me :whistle:[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they will be but I can fit more into the baths is what I meant. I took pics last summer when both were in full bloom and they looked very pretty. The buns enjoyed sampling the fruits of my labour too:loll:. I have already stuck one of the roses into a tub this morning (before the wind and rain arrived ), so we shall see what happens.

• Friendly Friendly x 2