Clingfilm and plant pots

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by chalky76, Aug 4, 2010.

1. chalky76

chalky76 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello to all

Right its getting a little chillier now and the trees in my front garden are starting to drop their leaves. I have several climbing plants in big pots that are going to get covered big time. I was thinking about putting clingfilm over the top of the pots so there is just a small hole for the stem to protrude from. The idea is that I can then just wipe the leaves away every few days. Does anyone know if this would cause any adverse effects?

Thanks

Alex

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    Yes, you cant water them.
    And I dont think its autumn quite yet.:scratch:

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Where are you Chalky ?
    It's early August and I'm in Perthshire.
    Daytime temp is 20 degrees. High summer here. And the tree are nowhere near dropping their leaves.
    I would forget about clingfilm.
    If you have pots needing winter protection then go for bubble wrap - but I hope that won't be for a while yet.

4. chalky76

chalky76 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I am in Crawley West Sussex. Sorry maybe I wasn’t clear, I don’t intend doing it yet just starting to plan for when the weather does turn properly. The idea of the cling film is to cover the pot (like a lid) so that the leaves don’t pile up over the bedding. I will of course probably use bubble wrap later on when the cold sets in. That having been said it won’t be as cold here as it will in Scotland, I used to live in Aberdeen by the way when I was at Uni.

Oh and I will make sure there is room to water the plants.

Chalky

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    The bubble wrap layer for cold weather might be a bit overkill, unless you have very tender climbers and I think what gets plants in pots is not just from the top, but also from the sides - plants growing in the ground have that little bit extra warmth from being buried.