Cloning an apple tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Mozziedodger, Oct 7, 2024.

1. Mozziedodger

Mozziedodger Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,
    I have recently moved my mum into a care home and will inevitably have to sell the family home to meet her care costs. In the garden sits my dad’s pride and joy, an apple tree planted around 1970 which produces the most remarkable cooking apples. They can grow up to 6 inch plus, green with a red blush as they ripen and the last ones on the tree sweeten to make them a reasonable eater at this time of year. As he’s no longer with us I have no way of confirming but I’m sure he thought it was a Macintosh. It sits about 14 foot high, although I have pruned it to keep it at that height.
    The issue I have is that I need to get a viable cutting off this tree before I have to sell the property. I had a half hearted try last spring but it didn’t work. I’ve read up on rootstocks and grafting but time is running short and I’m likely to only get one shot. Initially my thought was to get it into a large pot and allow it to stabilise before finding a suitable spot for it, and maybe growing a second one for my daughter. Can anyone advise how to get this done with a high chance of a successful outcome?
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. Tidemark

Tidemark Gardener

Long retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    You don’t say where your apple tree is. In UK, I assume? One idea is to contact these people, a family business that has been going for years, now run by a fairly elderly couple. They may be able to take cuttings for you if you are near enough or a search of their catalogue of hundreds of varieties may help you to identify your tree and let you buy a new one from them.

Fruit Trees- Rare and Traditional Varieties Grown and Supplied by Bernwode Fruit Trees

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +93,034
      I'd be inclined to try to find a local nursery that grows fruit trees and ask them to graft it for you. Obviously there would be a cost, but they might like a few of the variety for themselves.

If you have an established tree in your own garden you could try grafting a few pieces yourself, on to it, just as a way of saving the variety until you can get it onto a rootstock.

• Useful Useful x 1
      • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
        Ratings:
        +4,996
        Just in case you hadn't realised @Mozziedodger , cuttings often fail. So I would take tons of them if I were you. If you're not a keen gardener, grafting might be a bit of a stretch, so see if there is a local garden club with helpful members to come and try to propagate the tree. If you do take cuttings, make sure you put them into a really gritty compost. Using a rooting compound like Clonex would also help.

• Like Like x 2
        • Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
          +411
          I wouldn't be scared of trying to graft it, it really is very easy. I grafted apples for the first time last year and did about two dozen, they all took and are growing strongly. The art is in the cut but it's easy to practice on old bits of wood and they dont have to be perfect. I used a sharp knife but you can buy grafting tools cheaply which basically do the whole cut, so it fits perfectly, for you.
          It will be scion season soon meaning that you will be able to keep any pieces of the tree you wish to graft in the fridge until the spring, so you don't need to rush it. There are also plenty of places that do bareroot root stock for grafting.

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Mozziedodger

Mozziedodger Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +4
            Well thanks for taking the time to reply, certainly plenty to consider. If I’m honest I hadn’t really spent time properly researching this and the points made have made me feel quite positive about giving grafting a proper go.
            I live in Southport, at the northern end close to the West Lancs border. The tree I’m wanting to clone is situated in Formby, where the soil is completely different, light and sandy. To be honest though most plants I’ve brought up here over the years haven’t struggled.
            The idea of cutting Scions in February and storing them in the fridge seems manageable, and pre ordering rootstock shouldn’t be too difficult. I guess the issue would be which type to go for, I think M26 seems about right.
            I had in mind a large tub for each, maybe 70cm or so to start, just to get things going, so I can move it if I need to. I’d be interested to know if anyone has a go-to compost for such things, I went peat free this summer and wasn’t overly impressed.
            Looks like I’ve plenty of reading to be getting on with!

• Like Like x 1
            • BobTG

BobTG Plantaholic

None - at last!
              Ratings:
              +304
              You ideally need a John Innes #1 compost, which is loam (soil) based, for potted trees. Multi purpose and peat-free composts are not suitable as they are too lightweight and only contain enough added plant food for a few weeks' growth. You could also use garden soil, possibly amended with 10 to 15% bagged farmyard manure and 15% grit (if you have clay soil) but do risk bringing in pest and diseases from garden soil.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +93,034
              The problem I see is that it would be better if the rootstock had a year to get established in a pot before grafting the following year.
              I'm only assuming, but I would have thought any rootstock you buy now would be bare root.

• Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
              +411
              In my case, with a similar situation where the tree was to be felled, I just grafted it onto any old apple tree so I could keep the cultivar going. I'm going to use the new growth from that to graft onto it's perminent tree in a year or two, so it's just a stop gap for me.

• Like Like x 1