COIR COMPOST - ANYBODY USED IT??

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by ARMANDII, Jan 27, 2011.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    [size=small]I'm thinking of using coir compost this year for general potting and growing on plants. I'm not doing this out of any green pretensions but out of curiosity and as an experiment. I heard that some people use it regularly but mix it with other composts. Would anybody use it for growing tomatoes in large containers in the Greenhouse? Would extra feeding be needed if I did so? I'd be grateful for any thoughts or opinions.[/size]

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    I have used coir for a couple of years growing thousands of bedding plants for the Parks Dept not out of choice but because I was told too. I found that most plants grew reasonably well but needed constant feeding as most coir only has a low volume base fertiliser and feed leached through the compost too rapidly. Some plants grew poorly and were chlorotic and even a folia feed didn't induce recovery. My experience has only been with bedding plants and not veg, perrenials or shrubs. Coir just doesn't have the same structure as peat.
    I have given up using coir (at work) as I need to produce 100% quality plants which I couldn't if I used coir. A 50/50 coir/multi compost would be a better bet.

3. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Thanks Strongy, your experience with coir doesn't seem too encouraging! Raising plants on a large scale as you have done and to a high quality would require a top compost. I was thinking of using "straight" coir on a small scale and perhaps using a mixture of coir and peat added compost on a larger scale. I haven't seen a viable alternative to peat added compost yet which is why I would like to experiment. Having said that I will grow my tomatoes etc in normal compost because I don't want to risk that sector. I will try it in potting on generally in cuttings etc and see what happens.

4. Musa Monkey

Musa Monkey Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a lot from a company called fertile fibre a couple of years back.
    It was used mostly with large banana plants. I bought the large "bricks" as it was a great way of storing a significant volume of compost in a small area.

After using for a year i never really saw any difference or benefit to using it instead of multi purpose compost, other than the storage volume so i went back to multi purpose which is easier to source and cheaper.

5. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Musa, when you say you didn't see any difference or benefit does that mean it wasn't any better or worse than multi-purpose compost, and because it was more expensive and harder to source that was why you stopped using it? Strongyldon is pretty emphatic that he didn't rate it because it didn't give good results.

6. Musa Monkey

Musa Monkey Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Armandii,

To be clear, back then i was using a 40% 40% 20% general mix of coir, multi purpose and perlite.
    I would forsee significant nutrient (and subsequent growth) problems trying to use coir alone.

In my case i saw no growth benefits with using coir, and i recall adding more fertiliser to the compost mix than i usually would have to make up for the lower nutrient levels.

The end results of the above for me at least were very similar to using a 80% 20% mix of multi purpose and perlite, no better no worse.

Hence as you suggest, for reasons of cost and convenient supply i went back to multi purpose
    which today i mix with perlite and sharp sand and i find this provides a good general purpose mix.

Coir is clearly attractive for sustainability and within an overall compost mix can provide reasonable growth. I do have doubts of its green credentials given its transported here from afar.
    So at this point i struggle to see what coir really offers us but i like to remain open minded on these things.

I hope this additional detail answers the questions.

7. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Thanks MM, yes that cleared it up nicely. I agree with your comments about the green issues with coir and I'm beginning to be less inclined even to experiment with it. Getting advice from people with the experience really is a great help, thanks again.