Coir Compost Blocks

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Daytona650, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Daytona650

Daytona650 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

Has anybody had any experience with coir compost blocks? My allotment is very heavy clay and I was wondering if I could buy a few blocks of coir and dig it all through.
    From a mild Googling it looks like there's no nutrient value to it and most common use seems to be for adding to compost or seed-raising, but would it help break up the clay if I dug it in? I have home-grown compost and bottles of goodness that I can add for nutrients so not too fussed about that side of it.

Thanks for any advice or opinions.

Cheers.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Is that the cheapest source of "humus" that you have?

If you need a fair bit, rather than just a couple of bags, I would have expected well rotted farmyard manure, or mushroom compost or spent hops or somesusch to work out cheaper.

3. Daytona650

Daytona650 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Probably not the cheapest to cover the plot but it's only really one end that's the problem. The previous tenant grew strawberries at that end for many years, so it's had nothing done to it.
    Availability, transport and access are issues for anything larger, so I'm just hunting around for ideas.
    I'd like to go for the mushroom compost but I can't get a 1 ton bag to the plot.

4. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13

Hi,
    Get started with your own compost bin(s), get your neighbours to keep you clean compostable material, but it really does take time to get a lot of compost of your own.

As for coir, complete and utter waste of money, this was championed by the crazies of the green gardening movement years ago, when they first denied us the use of peat!

And it is transported a quarter of the way around the globe as well!

Your best bet is to buy the cheapest compost in bags (wickes £12 per three) and use only where it the most benefit, around your plants, not spread over barren soil!

Good gardening:dbgrtmb:

5. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I think Makka-Bakka and Kristen are right and coir is going to prove expensive and not up to the job because of the quantity. I think it's not a quick-fix job unless you can get a large amount of manure or compost onto the plot, but I think you're saying you've got access issues trying to get large amounts on the allotment. You're going to have to keep putting whatever amounts of compost/manure you can get, whenever you can get it, for some time I guess.

6. Daytona650

Daytona650 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your replies.

I think you're probably all right, I just need to keep doing small bits at a time, from 'home compost' and bags.
    I'll give the coir a miss then, just wondered if anybody knew about it and it doesn't seem like it will be of much use.

Cheers.