1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold Stratification Method - My Experiment !

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by enchanté jardinier, Mar 26, 2014.

1. enchanté jardinier

enchanté jardinier Gardener

Ratings:
    +57
    Hello friends,

The Cold Moist stratification is the process by which we imitate the period of cold and moisture in nature required for perennials seeds germination (break dormancy). These perennials or native perennials seeds are much more difficult to germinate.

I took many pictures when i tested this method.

See ---> Cold Moist Stratification, my experiment

testing:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,610
      I'm stratifying seeds for the first time this year but the instructions on the seed packets said to sow them in a tray of soil. As yet no signs of life! Your system is a much easier way and takes up much less room. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        I know this is a popular method, but it has never worked for me. I find that using filter paper / kitchen towel I can never get the air / moisture balance correct. Its far too easy to have too much water / not enough air. Personally I much prefer to use a couple of teaspoons of damp vermiculite in as small a zip-lock bag as will hold them (so that the seeds are in good contact with the vermiculite - a large bag means more vermiculite, or not good contact between the two sloshing around in the bigger bag; more vermiculite means that if I then tip the contents out to grow them on conventionally, in a small seed tray, that it needs a lot of surface area for the volume of vermiculite)

I suspect that a zip-lock bag with vermiculite makes it a bit harder to see when germination starts, and the root is a bit more developed before "pricking out", but it seems to work OK for me. Possibly the Vermiculite helps reduce mould as I think it has a slight fungicidal property.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://kgarden.wordpress.com/tips/s...sing-the-baggy-method/#VermiculiteBaggyMethod

• Informative Informative x 3
        • Like Like x 1