Coldframes

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Steve R, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I'll be building a cold frame shortly, classic design ie taller at the back than the front...but how tall should I go?

I've seen a lot of CF's on google image search in varying heights, what is the ideal size/height for general all round use/how tall is yours?

Mine will be 1200mm x 600mm approx length/width.

Steve...:)

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Steve - I am sure you want to make a really nice job - and I don't want to put you off.

But I have found the simplest cold frame is three sides of breeze block set against the house with a piece of glass or an old window on top. You can pick up glass at your council tip for nothing, and possibly the breeze blocks too. I have one that it 20 feet long and cost less than £10.

For me, the advantages are that it is against the house - so it gets a tiny bit of warmth during very cold weather. It costs virtually nothing. You can make it to any height you like by having the breese blocks on their side, their end, or even more than one layer. Its versatile, you can make it as big or as small as you like. And when you have finished with it, you can dismantle it, and stack it away over the summer in less space that you would take to store one small purchased coldframe.

3. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I like the simple approach Peter, unfortunately due to space limitations it will have to be permanant. I know that sounds a bit wrong but what I mean is that there will be nowhere for me to store a temp coldframe in summer, when not in use. We have a relatively small garden where most of it is set aside for hard surface for my partners wheelchair and her access to the garden and the site for a permanant coldframe would be in a position not affecting that...hence why I have measured and chosen style and size already...just need to get the heights right now.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I found a few things on Google which might give you some ideas:

http://www.oldandinteresting.com/victorian-garden-frames.aspx - look nice, totally impractical I expect!

http://www.michaelweishan.com/public_html/Newsletter/4_06/4_6coldframe.htm - I built one very similar to this when I was a lad. DIY instructions with dimensions. I think the glass is a bit steeply angled, and the front a bit low ... but ... OTOH maybe steeper is better to catch winter rays (assuming it faces South)

I would consider insulating the walls - so that it keeps the heat in better during cold nights.

http://www.savvygardener.com/Features/cold_frames-hotbeds.html
    http://factoidz.com/a-guide-to-building-a-cold-frame-for-your-garden/
    http://diybuilt.com/build-cold-frames-now-for-a-head-start-on-your-garden/
    http://www.greenfootsteps.com/cold-frame-design.html
    http://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Building_a_Cold_Frame

5. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Thanks for the links Kristen, very informative, can anyone help with the overall height at all..how high is your coldframe, this is what I really need to know? As per my original question top of page.

Many thanks in advance.

6. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi there Steve. Just been down and measured mine, 30cm's at the front and 40cm's at the back :thumb:

7. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Many thanks Freddy, thats what I was after. I take it for granted that your happy with the overall height, I would hate to build something then find I'm lacking an inch or two..lol

8. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Steve; I have a coldframe with the same dimensions as Freddy's (40cm at back sloping down to 30cm):

[​IMG]

The one above is not high enough for my tomato plants, so I made myself a higher coldframe last weekend its 50cm high:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its not pretty but its lightweight with polycarbonate, the idea is I will move it into my greenhouse soon to help my tomatoes, then after that it will fit into my veg beds to give a little protection to new plantings.

The height would depend on what you plan to grow in yours :gnthb:

9. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I'm still relatively new to gardening which is why I was looking for heights of cf's in use as a better idea before I build one. I know I need one to harden off plants from the greenhouse but was unsure of how big things will be that I put into the coldframe.

What I was hoping to avoid is somewhere down the line that someone says "put "x" plant in your coldfame steve" and I say "wont fit..my cf is only so big" to which comes the reply..."I would have made my cf so big"..if you see what I mean.

Both you and Freddy have given me a better idea of size for which I am grateful, Kristen and Peter have helped with other info...its all good.

I just figured that gardeners with coldframes in use, would have the best idea over any diagrams one can view via google, having the "in use" experience.

Many thanks

10. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    My own feeling is to be generous and make it a bit bigger than you think you want You will soon fill it.

11. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    The only thing against making it taller would be that the South facing edge casts a shadow. Uses a bit more materials for taller walls too. And possibly a bit more awkward to lean over to put something in / get something out. Other than that taller seems to mean more versatile ... unless anyone can see a flaw in my theory? :scratch:

12. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi folks. I guess if I was building my own, then I might make it a bit higher at the back to allow for taller plants. But then again, so far I haven't really seen the need. I reckon the only time you'd need it to be taller is if you were growing crops, ie toms or cucumbers. Cheers...freddy.