Coldframes

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by redfifi1717, Feb 16, 2006.

1. redfifi1717

redfifi1717 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    In my new 'old' garden where I am working, there are 4 old fashioned type cold frames. Naturally I would like to put these into use once more. As they need a cover, is it just a question of making a wooden frame, on a hinge, for each one, and 'attaching' a peice of perspex to it? Is perpex as good as glass? Would the perspex screw or nail into the wood??
    Any advice appreciated! Thanks

[​IMG]

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    you lucky person! To have such a treasure - I wish I had them! Anyway - glass is traditional, and would probably look more in keeping, but yes, perspex works just as well. I made a frame that let me slot the perspex in, as I wasn't sure about nails or screws. It stays well that way, and if you need to replace it, it's not too difficult. Hope that helps.

3. redfifi1717

redfifi1717 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for prompt reply! I like the idea of being able to slot the perspex in......and yes, handier to replace if necs.

4. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Those look to be large frames and any glass would be heavy. Drilling close to an edge is always risky so use glazing beads. Also Perspex is brittle and some (interior) grades don't stand up to continous daylight, use a polycarbonate material (available from glazier suppliers) suited to the purpose. You will also need suitable cat screens ;)

A lovely asset to have in any large garden and should be restored to a usable condition.

Question for the experts: would the lights have been hinged or run on rollers like a sliding door?

5. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Due to size they would have been sliders. I have seen early types made of cast iron...imagine trying to lift those :D

6. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Paladin, that was what I meant but didn't put it very well. I didn't realise they might have been cast iron though. :D

7. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    redfifi1717,husband tells me if use perspex be sure to drill first or it will crack when tightening screws.he recently built me a large one and says yes to make frame and attatch ( oh and put some mastik on back of perspex and then drill)hope this makes sense?

8. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Those look like really BIG frames. It isn't easy to tell from the photo but there doesn't appear to be much space behind for sliding the covers upwards. My guess is that the original covers somehow slid laterally using suspended rollers.

I think I'd go for polycarb' and make sections that could fold over on top of each other. That is unless you want to get into some major engineering which could be fun if you've the time and money.

9. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I think you will find glass is a lot cheaper than perspex.

They look to be very big, and any cover will be heavy - especially with glass. How about making a really cheap and cheerful wood frame covered by polythene. It would be easier to handle. I would be inclined to have more than one cover per frame. The frames are so big that if you had a single glass frame, and lifted it or propped it open at one end, the weight would twist the frame so much at the other end that you could crack the glass.

Did they ever have transparent tops, or were they left open during the day, and covered with fabric at night?

10. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    I made replacement frames using polythene once, they can lift and "fly away" during gale force winds. Polycarb may work being heavier. Although glass is best.

11. redfifi1717

redfifi1717 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmn yes, some interesting ides and replies.
    Taking into consideration the size of each frame, I do like the sound of Peters idea using polythene, on a wooden frame. I could always have plenty of 'fastenings' to 'batten down the hatches'. Of course we do get some wild winds up here, but the frames are in the corner of the walled garden so they may be quite protected. Not sure of their history Peter, and how well they were cared for!
    Thanks everyone.

12. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    i remember having frames like these at the first ParKks nursery I worked in back in the days when we were still learning to walk upright. They look very neglected but sound. Hope you have success with them and let us see how you fared later in the year.

13. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I have just been watching Miss Marple on television, looking for an old house, with perhaps an old cold frame in the garden. :D :D :D

Using her logic, I do not think your cold frames ever had a glass cover. They are huge and a glass cover would have weighed too much. You would never build frames that wide if you wanted a glass cover. Also you would need wooden runners or some other form of wood on the top. And there is no sign of any - not even a tiny rotten bit. Look for holes drilled into the bricks, used for attaching the wood!

On the television the other day, a presenter was saying that sometimes old cold frames had covers that were put on at night. Such as a bamboo roll, that was rolled across sideways. Perhaps yours had that.

It does not help you. But to me it confirms that you could not put a glass cover on a frame that big.

14. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] I think I would agree with Paladin on the cast iron rollers. We have a big house in the village here & they still have their cold frames in use with the original cast iron runners still....!!!! They are very big & heavy but slide suprisingly well & there is about the same amount of room behind from what I can see, as there is on these. The tops on the ones here don't actually slide right back completely, there is an overhang of about 8" or so. Why not try polythene fixed to frames to start & see how you get on. The brickwork deviders running from front to back look like they are recessed a little to have once taken runners. [​IMG] It certainly is worth giving them a try this year & if it works, make the conversion to glass as & when you can. They are pretty fantastic to have these days.... :D :D Good Luck..!! :D

15. redfifi1717

redfifi1717 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for ideas and advice, comments and encouragement!