Collecting kitchen waste - fruit flies?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by philip, Nov 17, 2016.

1. philip

philip Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1
    I keep all my kitchen waste in a small, closed plastic bin. I probably empty it once or twice a week into the compost bin in the yard, especially in this cold weather! But my fairly damp, warm kitchen is much troubled with numbers of fruit flies. They do no harm but they are troublesome and I guess unhygienic. They seem to cluster around any well-ripened bananas. Any remedies or solutions, please?

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    Keep waste away from your back door as the flies will settle on it, waiting for it to open and gain access to indoors.

Wine fly traps are easily made using some small pots/jars with inverted cones of cardboard with a 10mm hole at the pointy end sitting in the necks and a small amount of vinegar or wine dregs inside as bait. Yellow card works best as it seems to make the traps more attractive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1