1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Congratulations to Sheal for winning the January Photo Competition!
    AND
    That also makes Sheal our first entry in the Champion of Champions thread for 2018!

February's Photo Competition is now open, with December's winner Canadian Lori choosing the theme - February: Bliss or Bleak?

The Recipes area of the forum continues to thrive, with a library of tasty recipes growing all the time - if you have any suggestions, please do join in with the Recipes Sub-Forum Discussion

Or, why not learn something from our very own resident CHEF!

Dismiss Notice

Colocasia Thailand giants coming out of dormancy

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Matt-tropical, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Matt-tropical

Matt-tropical Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    Last week I potted up my Thai giants in damp compost and they seem to be making a start into growth. Last year I kept it growing over winter but this year I cut it off and let it go dormant because of its size. I Would appreciate any advice mainly around the amount of water if any to give it at this early stage thanks in advance.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    • Perki

Perki Gardener

Ratings:
      +520
      I haven't grown any colocasia yet , hoping to get black coral this spring. Personally I'd give it a light water sparingly, don't want it to get to wet are it may rot and wait until it starts growing. That how most bulbs / plants are brought back from being in dormancy.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Matt-tropical

Matt-tropical Gardener

Ratings:
        +39
        Have seen them started off just on top of the soil in a pot when they start to root then potted up properly. Thanks for the reply Off to buy a spray bottle to mist the soil, think your right less is more in this case

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

joinery
          Ratings:
          +18,766
          Not really grown Colocasia seriously myself but have grown Taro, (Colocasia esculenta), from supermarket tubers.
          I just started them off in a closed propagator on damp sand, pretty much 100% humidity and 30C temperature.

• Like Like x 1