Columnar Conifer

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by millerfamily, May 19, 2010.

1. millerfamily

millerfamily Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks

I am seeking some suggestions for purchasing and planting a slim Conifer that can be bought at about 4 to 5 feet high that can be kept in check for height and pruned to keep its shape when achieving a a height of 6 to 9 feet high. I am wanting to plant this about 3 feet from the front of the house.

Any suggestions and advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Richard

2. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Richard,

Why on earth would you want to plant any tree, let alone a conifer, 3' from your house? That's just crazy talk, man. Seriously though, even with all the best will in the world to keep it trimmed it's just going to cause you trouble in the future what with soil shrinkage, high water demand, light loss, needle cast and whatnot. I have felled many 'dawrf conifers' that have been as tall as a house. I'd seriously reconsider your choice of tree and position.

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,463
    I agree with Treesurfer, that close to the house seems folly to me :flag:. If you are set on getting a slim conifer then 'skyrocket' will remain slim without the need to prune but you will need to top it.

4. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Keep it in a large pot and you wont have the problems that Treesurfer and Shiney state.

For best effect make sure it receives a good deal of light and turn the pot at least every 3 months.

5. hct

hct Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    There are a few conifers that can be trusted not to get too big, and can look lovely in the right place. The trick is to do your research before you buy, and not get stuck with a 'dwarf' conifer that then grows bigger than your house. Try something like Taxus baccata 'Standishii' - it's a golden columnar yew that should reach around 6' and not get more than 12"-18" wide....

Helen.