Comfrey

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sarah17, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Sarah17

Sarah17 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I saw Toby Buckland do something with a drainpipe up a shed, collecting rainwater and passing it through comfrey to collect it. But I can't remember exactly what he did.

Does anyone know what I mean and how to do it?

2. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    maybe making a type of 'compost tea'?

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,991
  4. Alan Lodge

Alan Lodge Apprentice Gardener

gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    I kind of remember Toby Buckland doing this to make a garden feed. I also cant remember what he did but this how I do it.
    Any plastic contain that is water tight will do, one the size of a water butt would be ideal but it does depend on how much comfrey you have. Once the right time of year comes start collecting the leaves of the comfrey. The more you collect and cut down the more the plant will grow. Start putting all the leaves into the container over time this will build up. Now collect some rain water, this can either be done by leaving the container lid off or by leaving a bucket out.
    I personally prefer to add a very small amount of water. For example, if you are using a water butt and fill it up I would only use a bucket of water. Then just leave it. The leaves will sink as they decay and the water will turn a black/brown colour. Once you get this colour the feed is ready. I would then put some in a bottle and save it for latter continuing to add the leaves throughout the year. The feed can be quiet strong so mix 10/1 (10 parts water with one of feed) in a watering can. Is a great feed and its free.
    I hope that I have explained that well. If you have any questions then let me know
    Alan Lodge

• Like Like x 1