commelina coelestis

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by windy miller, Aug 29, 2006.

1. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    (think that's the spelling) My plants of this have got little green balls full of seeds, some are turning black. How do I harvest these? Presumably when they go black they're ready, but what then? Would anyone like some?

2. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Blue Spiderwort - that's what it is! Just looked it up!

3. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Quite easy Windy. Just press the seeds into the surface of a half decent, well drained compost, keep them lightly moist and at about room temperature (or just below). Germination occurs within a few weeks. This Commelina can flower in its first year from seed if sown in Jan/early Feb, so you've a bit of time yet. Just separate the seeds out when the heads are dry and store them in a paper bag. It occasionally self-sows here in Torquay, so it should pop up in between paving etc with you.

4. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks DaveP (again!)
    I only see the flowers very briefly first thing in the morning as they're all closed by the time I get home from work. Might grow some and give them away to family and friends.
    If anyone would like some seeds please let me know as the 2 plants I've got have produced loads.
    thanks again DaveP [​IMG]