Communal bins

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Daisies, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    How do you feel about this 'new' scheme?

Doorstep rubbish collections are to be removed and families being required instead to use huge communal bins in a scheme that might be introduced across the country.
    Brighton & Hove City Council will begin installing 3,200-litre communal bins in 500 streets next week – one for every 40 homes. For some residents the bins will be 150 yards away. Once the scheme is ready, dustmen will no longer remove black sacks from outside homes.

read more ....

[​IMG]

Actually, when I lived in a block of flats in Essex, we had a communal bin. Was a big old ugly roughed up round metal thing and the binmen had to manhandle it out of its brick house so the wagon could lift it up and empty it. And it stank and the metal doors of the brick shed never closed properly.

Each one was woefully inadequate for the number of flats it serviced as a result there were always bulging plastic bags stacked around it which would get torn open by cats, dogs, foxes and birds - or just plain burst!

And this is another big ugly thing also taking up a car parking opportunity!

(thought - if it was on the yellow lines, would it get a parking ticket! :hehe: )

2. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    No......
    How is my 101 year next door going to walk 150 yards in minus 6C to dump her rubbish?

How is these huge bins going to be policed?
    I can see them on fire every night!

The list goes on..
    robert

3. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    The BBC news just now said that if a householder was unable to get to the bin for any reason (like age or disability) they would still have a wheelie bin as now.

Yes, that's that I thought - yobs delight!

4. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    It would be ok in my location and due to the narrow road outside of my property it couldn't be placed there but 50 yards away where it widens:thumb:
    Trouble, of course, would be with elderly neighbours having to lug their bin bags to it.
    No yobs around here....only good kids!

5. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    I know for sure I would not want one of those outside my house!!!!!

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    At least you would be able to chuck anything into it and they wouldn't know who to blame for not recycling or dumpimg the odd bit of asbestos or the old car battery.

Another crazy money saving idea that would only actually work in a few areas.

I assume a reduction in council tax will also happen at the same time.:D

7. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I think it is long overdue, but has to be implemented properly. As others have already said, any such scheme needs to take into account the less able bodied among us. Also, there needs to be some way to make sure the bins don't end up stinking and attracting pests.

They have been doing this for years in Spain, and every time I've been to various parts of Spain it has always seemed to work pretty well.

From an environmental perspective, I think it is important. We all know that a vehicle has the worst fuel consumption when pulling away from a standstill, yet huge bin lorries are constantly stopping and starting every few yards.

Also, Britain is becoming a nation of lazy people. We all complained years ago when the refuse collectors decided to stop getting our bins out of our gardens/yards for us and made us drag them into the alley or street. As we (as a nation) get lazier and more obese, perhaps it is time that the able bodied among us get asked to do a little bit of work for ourselves for a change. For many people I know, lugging the rubbish to the end of the street once a week will be more exercise than they've had in their lives.

8. Mikkel

Mikkel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Close to where I was born in Essex, they had them in the early 1950's, but most of the time they were never emptied and so rubbish was simply dumped beside them and so it would be piled up for weeks on end.

I agree that those in Brighton & Hove are going to be a target for those who like to set fire to them just for the sheer fun of it.

9. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    I don't like it. But then change happens so maybe it's just me being an old fart! Don't know where they'd put it around here, there are no spaces along the streets although saying that they could put it at the top of the road where all the metro users leave their vehicles whilst going to work. Maybe we could get in and out of the street without weaving in & out. Sorry I digress....

I liked the comment in that link, Daisees, about whether these bins will be parked outside councillors houses.

cheers

10. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    If its parked outside your house is it possible to roll it down the road a bit, or are they chained to a lampost or something?

Perhaps we could all take our rubbish to the local tip, surely thats the logical next step once these bins become too expensive to empty.

We now have three bins, its not a hardship for me to wheel them all out, but for older people its a problem.

It says that recycling boxes would still be collected at the various houses, I dont think they would need to bother with me, as all my rubbish would go in the communal bin, recyclable or not.

11. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Snap Bob, I guess you type faster than me.

12. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    This is the norm here ... not just for me out in the middle of nowhere where the nearest bin is 200 meters away at the end of the lane, but it's the norm for towns ... and I must say it is very nice.

Discreet (sometimes underground and very little showing up top) bins for rubbish and even the three recycyling things (bottles, paper, plastic) are very, very upmarket and smart looking.

To be honest, in all the years (nearly 26) I've been here (holidaying ... owning/holidaying and now living) I have never seen individual rubbish bins. except in rare circumstances ... it's always 'communal'.

Ours is collected twice a week (and you can put garden rubbish and old furniture etc which is collected weekly or so next to the bins) and the cost is put strangely on our metered water bill which this past two months was a grand total of 16 Euros ... so basically at the moment £16 ... that's water and rubbish collection for two months ... high summer bills watering daily with the irrigation was about 40 Euros for two months). By the way, I don't have mains water out as I'm remote so use a septic tank with a soakaway .... but no problems with that. :yho:

13. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Most new apartment developments have a purpose built building to house communal bins which are accessible to the bin men. The idea obviously has been around for a while, as the apartment block round the corner from us has them and they were built in the late 80's. However I lived in one of these new builds in London and the communal bin area was digusting-a lot of the tenants were short term lets and humans being what we are, if the bin closest to the door was full, they dumped the rubbish next to it instead of going into the area and using an empty bin. After a week the smell was dreadful.
    Its a great idea but only if properly thought out. And knowing Brighton and Hove City Council, it won't have been. 99% of that council need to be chucked off the pier without a lifevest. The phrase, couldn't organise a p*** up in a brewery springs to mind when describing them.