Companion Planting Marrigolds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kristen, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I want to plant some Marigolds around the Tomatoes (in the greenhouse) this year

There are lots of different pretty Marigolds to choose from, and I don't know what the Whitefly won't like! Dwarf? Single/double/pom-pom? yellow/orange/.... the list is a bit endless!

Any help to choose a variety would be appreciated

The T&M range starts at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/ilist/flowers-t.html

Are there some other companion plants I should be sowing for use in the Greenhouse or Veg patch?

2. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,097
    :) Tegetes Lemon Gem............Small bright and very potent :)

3. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    When I grew tomatoes under glass, I used to plant African marigolds in between them as companions. I think they were called Crackerjacks? I can't prove it was the marigolds that kept away the white fly but they were never a problem in my green house at that time. The marigolds grew big and looked wonderful in the greenhouse which was a somewhat delapidated lean-to affair.

I love the whole marigold family to bits and would plant them any of them anywhere sunny even if they're not effective against whitefly!

4. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I Too love Marigolds I used them in my hanging baskets with my Trailing Toms Last Year but i dont know if they repell whitefly or the wfly are attracted to them and leave the toms alone :scratch:

5. joyce42

joyce42 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    MyGrandfather used to grow ordinary Pot Marigolds on his garden,they would selfseed and come up all over,he never used pesticides so they must have worked.He knew all about medicinal herbs too,if only we asked more questions and wrote thigs down.When you are young we think everyone is going to live forever