compost bin

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by dixy, Oct 25, 2006.

1. dixy

dixy Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    hi folks, I'm back!!! My other half is building me a compost bin could someone please tell me if I need to put worms in it and what is an "accellerator", do I really need it? ta.

2. luckyboo

luckyboo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dixy, having a compost bin is great. We have a large lawn and everytime we cut, have a huge pile of grass which fills up our compost bins. In just a few days, the pile magically disappears. I think it's just a matter of getting the right mix of green and brown material in there and letting nature do it's work. Browns include paper, cardboard, woody bits, Greens - vegetable scraps, tea bags, coffee grounds, plants, flowers etc. We have never put worms in or used an 'accelerator'. The following might help

http://www.the-organic-gardener.com/compost-making.html

3. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    luckyboo hi, I have 2 large compost bins and they are both full. I have ordered 2 more bins for my new allotment which borders my garden.
    it takes about 18 mths - 2years for compost to be ready for use in the garden.
    I put all the stuff you put on the compost heap.
    I avoid putting weeds in but dispose the weeds by burning it.

4. luckyboo

luckyboo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fancy, I didn't mean that my compost was ready to use in a few days :)I meant when we lay the grass cuttings on top of the other stuff in the bins, they seemed to decompose very rapidly. Everthing green goes in my compost, weeds included. I've noticed egg shells take a long time to break down.

To be honest, I haven't used the compost I've made over the last 3 years yet as I've only just begun growing a few things in my garden this year. I guess you could call me more of a composter than a gardener [​IMG]

5. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    there is no doubt it takes an art to have a good compost bin for one i only put a small layer of grass at a time as too much tends to turn into a gooey mess,however the water content in the grass helps to

6. dixy

dixy Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    thanks luckyboo, fancy and macleaf for all your help. I'll let you know how I get on. Watch this space..............

7. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  8. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    please dont put weeds in your compost bins, reason for this is the seeds will lay dormant untill you use your compost and spread it over your garden. the weed seeds will then germinate and bingo more weeds. I normally bonfire the weeds and spread the ash on the garden.

9. dixy

dixy Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    thanks for that bit of info Fancy, I would have put them on too! Should I shred newspapers and cardboard before putting them in or just layer them? Sorry to be such a pest but as you can see, I really AM a complete amateur!

10. luckyboo

luckyboo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well the debate about composting weeds is a long one. I was wary about adding weeds before but now we have soooo many on the lawn it's a never ending job and just easier for us timewise to put them in the compost bin. If I see ones with flowers or seeds on, I usually throw those out in the garbage.

Dixy, if you shred the cardboard, newspaper etc, it'll break down faster. If you have a nearby cafe or coffee shop, you can ask them for their used coffee grounds - the worms apparently love it.

11. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Safe to compost annual weeds before they set seed. Avoid perennial weeds. Shred personal documents for security reasons and add them to compost. Add torn cardboard and newspaper in moderation - not too much. Layer rougher stuff with lawn mowings as sandwiches. Too much grass will go soggy and exclude essential air. You need air, moisture and warmth as well as vegetaion. You NEED worms, wood lice and all sorts of creepy crawlies to break down the stuff you put in and turn it into compost - so no chemical addititives if you want it to work. Avoid all chemicals and if you want an accelerator use an old fashioned chamber pot at night and empty your pee into the compost bin every morning. It contains valuable minerals and will provide moisture and organic acceleration!!

12. dixy

dixy Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    thanks all of you, my compost bin should be ready to go tomorrow. I've already got a dose of stuff to put in it. Have shredded stuff (the shredder being a new addition to the house!) I'll let you all know how I get on.

13. dixy

dixy Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    p.s. not too sure about the pee tho!

14. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    dixy, I am not sure either,I think it is disgusting. my allotment friend have told me never to put weeds in the compost bin as you will be making a rod for your own back. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :D

15. dixy

dixy Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    well fancy I can see the point in no weeds in the compost bin.....but I really can't see me emptying either of our pee into it............unless.............how about a "pee party" where friends could come & bring their own to fill my bin? naw think I'll stick with them bringing their own wine!!!