1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Compost failure

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Poly Hive, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Poly Hive

Poly Hive Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +72
    We inherited two "dalek" composting bins. We over the winter have been adding kitchen peelings and urine to the lawn mowings that were in there plus ash from our wood burner.

Just went and turned it and it is an ashy wet sludge. The base of the compost bin is plastic with slots in it but it is pretty obvious it is not draining nor achieving aerobic conditions as I could recognise a tomato that I remember putting in months ago and also an apple so where are we going wrong or is it the container it's self that is the problem?

Any helpful advice welcome.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It's best to layer it with brown material as you build it up, dried plant matter between the layers of kitchen waste, or if you haven't got enough, layers of crumpled cardboard.

Makes a much better end product and it gives a better carbon/nitrogen ratio.

Our one is open to the ground at the bottom and the brandling worms get in there and help with the process too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      This is the stuff we turned out a week ago...

DSCI0001 (24).JPG

You can see the difference to the normal garden compost.

DSCI0002 (19).JPG

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Exactly the same happened to a couple of my composters when I had the 'good idea' of mixing wood ash in with the other stuff. The ashes must either stifle it or raise the pH to a point where it disrupts the worms and microbes that break the vegetable matter down (or both). I now keep some of my dry wood ash stored separately and bin the rest.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Poly Hive

Poly Hive Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +72
        Ah, so that might be it the ash.

No worms in it at all for sure.

• Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,830
        My intuition tells me that wood ash is too caustic for these composting bins. Stick to the organic material.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
          +599
          Like @Zigs mentioned - putting brown waste in is essential. Cardboard, dried leaves, straw, shredded paper; bills are particularly satisfying.

A Green waste ratio of 25-50% is ideal. Grass clippings, kitchen waste, dug up plants are great, but be careful about adding weeds as many can survive the heat/composting process. Turning the compost is essential but easier said than done in many compost bins :frown:

But THE magic ingredient is socks. Not any old socks - but mysterious socks. May you be blessed with their arrival :snork:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
            Ratings:
            +7,281
            I noticed that @Zigs last post he withheld the ingredient of Mysterious socks, that he had in other threads shown everyone
            So that is the secret OUT, You need smelly socks to start the composting

• Funny Funny x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Carllennon

Carllennon Gardener

Techie
              Ratings:
              +246
              Also, don't forget to put your contents of your vacuum bag in the compost bin.