compost heap and wormery

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by specialagentscully, Jul 31, 2006.

1. specialagentscully

specialagentscully Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    One of my first missions is,I have to build a new compost heap and not sure what to make it of, any sugestions ?? Also I would quite like to make a wormery, I have an old 3ft fish tank, would this be any good to use or am I just being daft?? :confused: Thanks in advance x

2. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Hi scully

And welcome to GC [​IMG]

I have two of the plastic compost bins, one to fill up and other which when filled up is left to rot down. But you will only need one to start off with.

I fill mine with: vegetable and fruit peelings, fruit thats gone a bit off, grass cuttings, pruned things from the garden, dead flowers etc. egg shells, used tea bags and coffee grounds.

Nothing thats cooked

But I'm sure the others on this site will give you more ideas.

As for a wormery I don't know how to make one but I do want one for Christmas!! I have read an article on them , they sound really good but costs about �£80!! :D

3. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Scully.
    If you click on www.northamptonallotments.co.uk
    on the first page and also on the message board forum,there are some articles on composting,that I have added that you might like to read.

Kandy

You can get a wormery from wwwwigglywigglers.co.uk

4. specialagentscully

Ratings:
    +0
    oh thank youKandy, sorry bout the mix up, blonde moment and bad day,,,, bad conbination!.. cheers x

5. specialagentscully

Ratings:
    +0
    yep kandy, thats the sort of thing i was thinking of, great pics too, i have heaps of old wood ect and some corigated metal for the bottum, and loads of netels too, to heat it up. i already have a big bin collecting the squrmie wormyies, grins, to go in.. smiles.. got the base done for my green house done today, good work.. well happy, should be up in a week, unforseen circomstances aside... cheers scully x

6. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Scully.I am Blonde as well,and I am always having a Blonde moment,or getting wound up about everything and anything,so you are not alone.

Kandy