Compost Ingredients.

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Chopper, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    I watched a Gardeners World documentary last night about peat and compost. Gave me quite bit to think about. I like the idea of not using peat or compost containing peat.

The size of my garden, I should in future be able to create enough compost for my needs. This year as I am only just getting into gardening seriously, I know I need to add some extra nutrients and soil improvers, but I am going to have to rely on ready made, bought in compost etc.

What I would really like to know is, what are teh essential ingredients for compost?

What do I need to make a good compost for sewing seeds. What do I need to do to make compost for seedlings? Finally what do I need to include for a general purpose soil improving compost?

I do NOT want to use any chemicals. I have two dustbin size compost bins and plenty of space to make a good sized compost heap. I have plenty of grass to mow, hedges to trim and have access to a good supply of horse manure.

Can anybody help me get started please?

Regards

Chopper.:cool:

2. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I don't think you can really make seed compost as homemade compost is too rich in nutrients for seeds.
    General compost. I keep a colander in the sink. All vegetable waste tea bags etc. goes in and is put on the heap at the end of the day. Mown grass, shredded prunings, paper, anything that will rot down. Don't put weeds on it as they tend to survive and grow again when you spread it on your garden. If you can get your hands on FRESH cow or horse manure layer it with that as the it generates lots of heat and hastens the rotting down. Turn it every couple of months.. It's easier if you have two heaps next to each other for this. You will be surprised how much stuff you have to put in it.

3. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry. I should have read your post properly. You can get manure.:oops: All sorted