Compost layering - incorporating shredded hedge cutting, mainly cherry laurel

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sian in Belgium, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,230
    I would appreciate some advice on layering proportions when dealing with shredded hedge cutting.

IMG_4289.JPG

We are finally having our out-of-control hedges cut. Some are nearly 4 metres tall, and are being taken down to 2m, or 2.30m. The cut hedge is being shredded, and I plan to mix the shredding in our compost bays, to help improve the soil...

There will be (totally finger-in-the-air guessing here) about 5-6 cubic metres of shreddings. About 120-150 metres of hedge... I have three compost bays, 2 cubic metres each. Probably about 1/2 cubic metre of pretty much ready compost, and 2 cubic metres of adding-to compost. It was last turned end September, so the top stuff is v fresh, below will be up to 3 months old. "Normal" mix of coffee grounds, veg peelings, cut back bedding / herb trimmings from end of season, a little grass, and some shrubby prunings.

My thought is to lasagne-layer the home compost (4-6"), the shreddings (4-6"), with a 'seasoning' layer of ready compost (1"), to work as an activator.

Does this sound about right? Correct proportions? Technique? Do I need to layer some fresh horse manure from the stables through as well? The temperature is around freezing at the moment, if that helps. The hedges are being cut in the next couple of days, and the mixing will happen at the weekend, or start of next week.

(Apologies for the mixed measurements! I honestly think in inches, especially up to about 2 foot, and in cubic metres for volume)

2. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,230
    Wow!
    We have never paid for help with hedge maintenance before, and so this is a first for me.

We're using a local team who give job opportunities for people with learning difficulties. It means you get lots of hands on the job (and lots of coffee cups required!) for a reasonable price. You also know you are helping others at the same time. I have to say the job they have done is brilliant!

I over-estimated the volume of shreddings, fortunately. Probably around 3 cubic metres, which will be much easier to accommodate in the compost bays.

I see a number of viewings on my "recipe", but no "don't do it!" comments, so I will assume that the proportions are about right. Either way, the wheelbarrow is going to be very busy this weekend, so we have the space to park the car back again!

• Like Like x 2
    • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,686
      Hi @Sian in Belgium, I'm sorry I can't answer your compost mix question, but I did want to say how fantastic that you hired that amazing business to do the work. I've worked with young people with learning difficulties, and it can be so hard for them to find a role in the working world, due to prejudice rather than inability.

• Friendly Friendly x 2