compost worms

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by blacksmith, Aug 13, 2011.

1. blacksmith

blacksmith Gardener

Ratings:
    +147
    Hi all, I have a lot of red worms in my compost and was wondering will they live if I spread them with the compost on my raised beds which are 50% soil and 50% mushroom compost.

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    If they are small red striped brandling or tiger worms they'll not survive for long as they feed on vegetable matter.

• Like Like x 1
    • blacksmith

blacksmith Gardener

Ratings:
      +147
      Thanks Dave, trouble is I need a lot of worms for my raised beds and I can't find anywhere to buy earth worms, lots of red worms and lob worms for sale but not earth worms, believe it or not there are hardly any in my garden to dig up, I took up at least 3 ton of turf and soil to put in my raised beds and only found a handfull of earth worms

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,886
      With a very dry spring this year blacksmith earthworms have tended to go 'deep', I'm sure you have more than your share in your garden. They will show later in the year. :)

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can buy earthworms.

• Like Like x 1