compost.

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by hammer, Jun 19, 2008.

1. hammer

hammer Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    is multi purpose compost reusable for next year,ive spent a small fortune on the stuff.

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,865
  3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,983
    If you stored it right I would guess so, mine lives outside so any half used bags are usually full of slugs and bugs in the following spring.

4. vegman

vegman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Keepthe bag open sothat gases dont build up caused by the fertilizer reactingto air. It should be OK

5. hammer

hammer Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    most of the compost ive bought is in tubs.

6. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Do you mean reuse it like in ... using *again*? Or storing and using at a later time?

7. hammer

hammer Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    mean reusing it for next year ie when the growing seasons finished can i save the compost and use it for next year.

8. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,865
    Ooooh... Then most of the nutrients will have been used by this years plants. Could be used to add 'bulk' the the flower beds I guess but add some muck into it for replenishing the nutrients.

9. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Using it again in pots is a no-no I think, but it is great stuff to add to the ground in the garden, improves the structure of any ground. BUt when a plant is confined in a pot it sucks absolutely anything out of the compost it is in.

10. hammer

hammer Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    omg better get saving me pocket money from the mrs for next years compost.

11. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    If you have some spare space in the garden where you can mess around with the ground you can make your own soiled based potting compost, you need to improve the soil a lot though.

12. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I generally tip everything out of the old pots into the veg patch and dig it in (obviously checking for weeds in the process!) - bulks things out nicely, and easy to dig over! Like it has been said though, don't expect it to be high in nutrients! :D

13. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I am afraid I have to disagree with the others here. When my fridge becomes empty of food I don't get a new fridge - I just fill it up again. The same with compost. You just replace the nutrient. In fact the nutrient will have been used up way before the end of the season - they say 4 to 6 weeks on the bag. I feed all my pots with a liquid feed (Miraclegrow) once a week. That way i never worry about the nutrient content.

However if you think you have a disease or vine weavels or similar then you shouldn't reuse it.

14. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Is all that liquid feed costing less than new compost though? Lol. No you have a point Peter. I reuse all of the former year compost, either for improving the ground in the garden or for cutlings and seeds and such. But I still like to get new compost for greedy plants, wether in sacks, or from my own composter.

15. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well I have to agree with the majority. I also use my used compost on veg and flower beds.

However in raised beds it is used year after year, but as long as you use something like growmore etc, then it works well. The odd foliar food for greens doesn't go amiss when they are young.:thumb: