compost

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by simmo, Aug 17, 2005.

1. simmo

simmo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Im digging my grass up to form a veggie plot and wish to know whether turf can be used in a compost pile? All replies with hints would be much appreciated. Area im digging is about 12m2 and its all turfed,though not brilliant quality.

2. dabbit

dabbit Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think you probably can put off cuts of your turf into compost bins...Check out: THIS for some good tips on composting

3. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simmo, just finished making a turf stack yesterday, re-shaping a lawn in a clients garden. Stacked turf side to turfside, soil side to soil side (starting turf side down, ending soil side up), this will rot down into lovely loam by next year (turf stack I've made is about 1 metre square x 50cm high), In a warm corner by the existing compost bin. You can put a layer at a time of it in your compost & intersperse with other organic matter.

4. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    One mini prob, however. I stacked mine when I stripped my lawn back and when it rotted down, found it was old commercial turf which had been reinforced with horrid, fine green nylon netting! It's taken ages to get it all out! :mad: :mad: :mad:

5. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Bad luck MD! When you dig it up - its a good idea to give it a good old shake, and a bit of a scratch (makes it lighter to lug around too) - any netting etc should be visible.

6. Coralbat

Coralbat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks dabbit great site.

7. simmo

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bayleaf,
    Needed the tips and have laid my turfs onto a felt base to protect the ground they are laid on. Again Many thanks

8. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    probably better without the felt (do you mean plastic, as in roofing felt) base, laid mine on bare soil - so the worms & wee good guy beasties/microbes can get in & do their stuff to rot it down - any chance you could get it out?

9. simmo

Ratings:
    +0
    its full of holes as found in shed so wigglies etc can get through