Compost

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Deserter, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Deserter

Deserter Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    And another question. We've been merrily bunging our eggshells in the compost heap for the last 18 months. But the other day when Herbert number 2 somehow managed to move the compost bin half a dozen un-composted eggshells appeared out of the bottom. Am I destined to spend half the winter on my hands and needs pulling eggshells out of the compost before digging it into the garden? I do know that as a slug deterrent eggshells are first rate so I can still find a use for them if need be!

2. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I'm not sure that egg shells do actually compost per se but when crushed up just adds to the general gritty nature of soil as does sand and helps with drainage. (Could be wrong there, tho but!)

3. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Probably right there M. I always crush the shells now first.Couple of years ago some whole eggs survived their time in the compost heap and silly me smashed them :eek: , the stink made me ill,it was ages before I could look one in the eye again :(

4. Deserter

Deserter Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    That's alright then I'll send the kids out with their wellies and some dancing music when I dig the compost in and that should do the job. I might retreat to the shed in case there's any whole eggs found their way in by mistake [​IMG]