compost

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by heppy, Sep 22, 2005.

1. heppy

heppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi all. can anyone tell me what not to put in a compost heap i know i can put all my garden waste in it but what about kitchen waste as in cooked or uncooked food tea bags etc thanks [​IMG] [​IMG] lee

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Tea bags are excellent in the compost heap but you have to empty them first, as the bags don't break down very well..Other kitchen waste such as peelings, fruit, eggshells [crush if you have time], bread are all fine. Meat, cooked or not, willattract animals, and smells bad as it decays. In winter add some Garotta or other compost activator to help the process along. You will know if things are ok from the smell. If you want to compost all your kitchen waste, visit
    www.livingsoil.co.uk
    I have one of their bins outside my back door and it is excellent, takes everything, and can be composted when 'done', although you should bury it in the compost heap. Or you could try a wormery, these are also good if you don't mind the responsibility!

3. heppy

heppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  4. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    On the subject of compost - I have a nice slat sided bin that I have half filled with all the usual stuff, grass cuttings (not too much) prunings, peelings, etc., etc. I had it spend times tucked up cosily with carpet and stuff, watered it when it looked dry, added composting powder and turned it from time to time as the books recommend.

Problem is, it doesn't seem to be maturing properly and I'm talking about 18 months plus here!! I even left the top off to see if exposure to the elements would make it get a move on but it still doesn't seem to be making that lovely dark crumbly stuff I see Titchy sniffing on TV! [​IMG]

Any (helpful) suggestions folks?!!

5. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds as if your bin has gone anaerobic michaelmasdaisyand become stuck. I'd empty the bin and just put all the contents in a loose pile on the ground and turn it once a week untill it breaks down. If this isn't practical, give it a good mixing and aeration with a fork, chopping up any heavy clumps with a spade. Really churn it up then return it to the bin and it should soon start to compost.

6. sewer rat

sewer rat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Heppy
    Whilst 99% of your garden waste will be compostable, avoid perrenial weeds (dandelions etc)as these will come back to haunt you in future years. Also, don't compost any diseased material - blackspot in roses, plant material with rust for example. Just bin this stuff - or burn it if you are allowed garden fires in your part of the country.
    Sewer Rat

7. heppy

heppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi sewer rat could i compost perrenial weeds if i put them throgh a shredder fisrt ... lee

8. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    heppy,trouble with that is you chop one persistant weed root into dozens more. What sort of shredder you got? when I put soft materials through mine I'm forever having to unclog the thing :mad:

9. heppy

heppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i have not bought one yet as i have to get the new house in order first as for the garden i will be starting that in about 4 weeks. what type of shredder do you recommend ... lee

10. Paladin

Ratings:
    +770
    Hi lee, Mine is a Black & Decker GS1400. It was a present and never had much choice in it.
    It's o.k. but any tree prunings over 1/2" make her struggle too much. (I ran a weld on the blades and got a better edge to sharpen) ;)

[ 25. September 2005, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Paladin ]

11. heppy

heppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi paladin, that sounds a good idea i`ve mig and stick welder did you use a hard suface rod or normal ... lee

12. Paladin

Ratings:
    +770
    Had a low hydrogen rod in my box of tricks(long time since used daily) and ran a grinder over them first then used an old hand turned wheel wet stone.Well,the wife did the turning :D

13. heppy

heppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    sounds good i think i will do something like that...lee

14. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I have a shredder made by DIrt Devil which I bought because it was the cheapest. It serves my purposes, although I wish it did karger wood! Ifind it will take stuff like ground elder, dandelions, and bind weed if mixed with twiggy stuff, and I then compost these pernicious weeds without problems............
    I have a problem. This year I have had tomato blight, and have burned the foliage, as recommended, but what about the soil? There are 3 growbags, and also an outside bed. Will the soil be contaminated?

15. Paladin

Ratings:
    +770
    Liz,haven't you ever had any problems composting bindweed??
    If I have to dig it out it goes straight on the fire..dandelions too!