compostible bags could I put in the wormery?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by happymundays, Aug 4, 2009.

1. happymundays

happymundays Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed BQ are selling bags for caddy's that are compositble, which for me is great as caddy's even with washing get gunky and attract fruit flies.

so have a question if I was to put in my wormery would it break down too slowly for them or should I put in my compost bin?

Thanks for any thoughts or experiences

2. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I don't know about the wormery but I wouldn't advise using them at all, I've been digging in my compost bin over the past couple of days and have found some from over a year ago that are still very much a bag, this might be due to my heap but I won't be using them again.

3. happymundays

happymundays Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats not good , obviously don't break down that quick, think I will avoid using them, probably good for landfill sites but I guess thats not the point.

The thought of splitting them open with year old veg yucky

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    We've tried them in our worm bins and they do break down too slowly, but in our main compost heap which works on a two year cycle they rotted down completely over the two years.
    When we had a cat we would put a sprinkling of cat litter in the bottom of the kitchen caddy and it absorbed any liquid and prevented nasty niffs, now we just put a bit of crumpled of newspaper in the bottom and rinse it every few days.
    The only time we use bio-degradable bags now is in the other
    caddy that is used for meaty waste that is put out into the council recycling bin and we produce so little that more often than not we just wrap it in newspaper.

5. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I went on a Master Composting Course at Ryton Gardens. The compostable bags take 18 months to rot down and the stuff inside does not get access to air, so i would not recommend it for either compost heap or wormery. The trouble with putting them in the recycling bin is that the binmen cannot tell the difference between those bags and ordinary plastic bags so might refuse to empty the bin..
    Also composting on a large scale is done quickly and I wonder whether the bags would just add to the contamination that they have to take out. I would use them in the caddy but empty them into the compost or wormery and then chuck them in the non recyclable bin.