Composting blighted tomatoes plants

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by beanie b12, Sep 22, 2008.

1. beanie b12

beanie b12 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can I put the blighted tomatoe plants in my compost bin, or should I chuck them out with the rubbish?

Thanks all.

2. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    I think I would err on the side of caution. I have the same problem and I shall not put mine on the compost heap. Purely on the theory not to court trouble, I have no previous history of blight this was the first year.........methinks the weather might have had something to do with it.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    It would be best to burn them if you can. I also wonder if they should not go into 'green' rubbish, i.e. collected by the council & turned into compost, as that might pass blight onto others in the future. Our council do not allow 'green' stuff in the general 'landfill' rubbish collection, so burning is the safest option for us.

4. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sure I read somewhere that the councils compost heaps reach a far greater temperature and therefore it kills off all the bad stuff. I put mine in the Green bin yesterday

5. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Yes you are probably right about the high heat killing off the blight spores, L M Road Rage.
    I just had a look on my councils website but there is no detail on what they accept. I have just emailed them, might be interesting to find out what they say.

6. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Well you are correct LM Road Rage; just got this back from my council "Yes you can put diseased plants into the garden waste bags as the waste is heat treated to speed the composting process and kill bugs and bacteria." :)

7. moyra

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Yes John and LMR the plants can go into the council green rubbish but not the actual tomatoes. So whether they like it or not the tomatoes that are inedible will be wrapped and placed in my black landfil bag.

8. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Moyra, I suppose that's because the actual tomatoes are classified as 'food' waste.

9. moyra

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
  10. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I would say that, where possible, burn the plants and the fruits. I don`t think composting will destroy the spores.Also. if you were unlucky enough to have had blight on spuds or toms make sure you treat the gound with Jeyes or Armillatox.

11. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    :dh: :lollol:

12. misterroy

misterroy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    By heat treated, do they mean adding heat, other than the heat generated during composting?

13. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I'm not sure about that, I would hope its just the heat generated by composting, I can't imagine they use heaters but that is how they worded it. I might try and find out a bit more tomorrow. I don't know much about industrial composting, I thought they just blew normal air through the heaps to speed up the process.

14. Quaedor36

Quaedor36 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just had the problem with 32 plants dead and all those lovely tomatoes covered in blight, I'll add what I am told on the allotment.

I mustn't put the blighted plants or fruit in my composter because the blight spores will stay in the compost and re-enter the soil when I dig the compost in later this year or next.

I can put them in the waste bin on the allotment and the council will take them away because their processes reach much higher temperatures than any bofire could and will destroy the spores. The best way is to burn the blighted material.

Unfortunately, (it's a sign of these dreadful times) we are not allowed to have fires on the allotment and the council, from next March, will not be providing waste bins so we will all have to put our green waste (that which cannot be composted) in plastic bags and put these bags in the general house rubbish bin as there are no arrangements for the collection of any form of green waste from the house.

Hope this helps!

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    L M R said
    I worked in the brewing industry where we pasteurised beer to kill bugs and yeast the pasteurisers were controlled to the nth degree but stuff got through uncooked or overcooked so I wouldn't have faith in the council doing a proper job with composting.