Composting Conifer Trimmings

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by RowlandsCastle, Jul 21, 2024.

1. RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,200
    Is compost made from conifer trimmings, suitable for blueberry bushes? That is, ericaceous.

Only, I'm about to be able to compost a good quantity, and wondered whether it was worth my while. If not, I will mix some with my normal garden waste, and get the council to pick up the rest.

Many thanks.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    I think the problem is that they are pretty slow to decompose.
    Mixing with something a bit woody might help, perhaps some chippings or shreddings.

3. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,468
    After a suggestion made to me on this forum, I've made a separate pile of the needles, chippings etc adding to the top and digging out from the centre as needed. It took 3 - 4 years to reach a usable state and since then has supplied mulch for Camellias etc. Also a lot of toadstools keep popping up.

4. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,198
    I think they'd also need to be small to help them break down. I often have bits of conifer in my compost bins, but they stay quite hefty for a very long time, even thought they're small.
    Might be better to keep them separate from the rest of your compost - in the same way that leaves are better in a separate site, due to the different process of the breakdown. Adding some other material could make a good mulch though.
    It would take a fair bit to alter the soil though, if yours isn't suitable enough for blueberries to start with. If they're in a purpose built bed it would be easier :smile:

5. RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,200
    Thank you @pete @NigelJ and @fairygirl
    I have time to cut the smaller pieces off the branches and large twigs, leaving the bare, thicker parts, for the wood pile, or council.
    There are even some sections that can replace bamboo canes in supporting plants in the garden, even if only for a couple of years.
    I have some old plastic compost sacks for holding the "ericaceous compost in the making".
    It's only this year that I will have more conifer trimmings to hand, as there are still another three to come down. I feel bad about taking them down, but I will be planting other trees though.
    Thank you for your advice.