Composting Llandii/Conifers

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by BigBaddad, Nov 30, 2009.

1. BigBaddad

BigBaddad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys long time since my last post. I'm currently cutting down a llandii/conifer hedge. It's about 2m thick, 6-7m high and about 30m long. The trunks will be used as fuel, but I've many many cubic meters of the bushy branches building up. I'm going to hire a big chipper the break it down, but is it okay to compost so much of it.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thmb: Hi Bigbad, nice to see you again.. Yes I would chip them up into a pile somewhere they won't be in the way as they are very acidic & need to rot down well.. We mixed a load with 2 loads of raked up leaves & left it to compost over 12-18 months.. I think I added a little garrotta to kick start it all off, turned it periodically & we ended up with a good mulch.. :)

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    When we took out our last hedge which was just a bit smaller than yours, I logged the main trunks for fuel and burned the rest (when wind was right to avoid neighbours) and saved the ash for spring feed on the fruit trees.
    When I took out our first hedge I borrowed a heavy duty chipper and used the chippings on the garden paths.