comprehensive list of colour all year round?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mztrouble, Feb 16, 2008.

1. mztrouble

mztrouble Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I'm new here so can I apologise in advance if I am repeating a thread. I had a bit of a scout and couldnt find one on here, but I'm terrible at looking for things so there probably is one already! :rolleyes:

My partner and I brought our first house in August and have been slowly doing it up as as when we can afford to! Anyway, the garden was a bit of a state (grass had all died and lots of big conifers leaning into a tiny garden) so we have spent all winter sorting it out and clearing it, ready to start again. So.... with a nice lawn, a little decking, a normal sized hedge so we get some sunlight and no big trees, we are ready to start planting.

We like the idea of movement all year round so have been looking at ornemental grasses, but we want some flowers/colour all year round.

I thought I'd ask you chaps if anyone know a link to (or can suggest) some plants for some colour all through the year as I really dont want to end up with a summer garden only!!

The garden is quite shady though, so I do need to bear that in mind!

Thanks in advance chaps, I have been looking on the internet for a while but everything is very confusing, so thought it best to just ask!! [​IMG]

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm sure there will be loads of suggestions for winter colour. We all have our favourites.

There are of course the old standards, the winter flowering pansies and my favourite winter flower the winter jasmine (if you want a root when I can lift later in the year then PM me but it will take a year or three to spread).

I love just coloured stems, red.yellow, green etc. which the dogwoods give. Very impressive in winter but boring in summer, but in summer who needs it? As there are over 200 dogwoods thee are plenty to choose from.

There should be loads of ideas following.

3. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm sure there will be loads of suggestions for winter colour. We all have our favourites.

There are of course the old standards, the winter flowering pansies and my favourite winter flower the winter jasmine (if you want a root when I can lift later in the year then PM me but it will take a year or three to spread).

I love just coloured stems, red.yellow, green etc. which the dogwoods give. Very impressive in winter but boring in summer, but in summer who needs it? As there are over 200 dogwoods there are plenty to choose from.

There should be loads of ideas following.

4. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Why has that posted twice? [​IMG]

5. mztrouble

mztrouble Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    oooh. Winter Jasmine sounds nice. Think I might have to get some of that! Just googled it and looks lovely :)

6. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Just PM your address and then wait. Freebies are always nice even if you have to wait. I won't forget.

7. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Hellebores have their uses, and if you want scented, winter flowering plants you have Sarcoccoca (Christmas Box ) and Daphne odora. Witch Hazel is another nice winter flowering plant.

8. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Whenever I get a Christmas Box David it turns out to be a pair of socks [​IMG]

9. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,463
    Winter flowering honeysuckle is also highly scented

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi M.T. have you thought about variegated foliage like Euonymus or variegated Periwinkle both look great not to mention Hostas, although Hosta's do died down in winter but come back more fuller in spring.

If you like grasses then there are some great Carex, Bamboo plants, Cordylines or Palms to give you a tropical look in your garden.

You can always plant some bulbs depending on the season or buy seasonal plants to give you that little bit of colour if you so wish.Hel.xxx.

11. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Golden holly (Ilex aquafolia) and its many varients.

12. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Would add Mahonia Japonica to any winter list if you want movement from ornamental grasses look at the Miscanthus and Stipa varieties which have some height.

13. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes Chobart. Love Mahonia. No winter garden should be without. Mine got pinched so I'm without at the moment.

14. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    whitch hazel is another nice one with a lovely autumn colour and delicate flowers early spring

15. mztrouble

mztrouble Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks so much for this advice chaps! Am using this to put together a list and am going to have a plan, then go and buy then! Eek! Very exciting!