Conference pears

Discussion in 'Trees' started by He who dares, Aug 10, 2024.

1. He who dares

He who dares Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    My Conference pear tree had a heavy crop last year but I lost about two-thirds to brown rot. My local garden centre suggested that the cause could have been stress from the heavy crop.
    This year, there are fewer fruit, which are looking very good, but I've just noticed a brown rot beginning to spread on one pear. Any ideas as to how I can treat this will be gratefully received. I'll add a photo when the rain eases.

2. He who dares

He who dares Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
  3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    I don't know about young trees like yours but our Conference pear tree is almost 100 years old. It still gives plenty of pears but some of them always go like that. It looks like pear scab. You can use a treatment (they say many of the treatments are environmentally acceptable) but it's late in the season for that.

All we do is pick them off and leave them to ripen off the tree or, sometimes rot and get thrown, or they do OK and you just cut the scab out before eating. They are my favourite pear.

Thomas Rivers first introduced them 140 years ago and our tree came from his nursery, just down the road from us, which was eventually sold in 1987 and they built a private hospital on part of the site. A section of the fruit trees have been preserved and kept going under the guidance of the local authority.

• Like Like x 1
    • He who dares

He who dares Gardener

Ratings:
      +36
      Well, thanks for the very full response! I'll follow your advice and remove those which become badly affected in the hope that it doesn't spread as widely as last year.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,455
      I think you can find on the internet the chemicals that are OK to use.

• Like Like x 1