Confers?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Janet mahay, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +614
    Hi all My boy said he seen seen a couple kids from his bedroom window the other day looking over my fence although its 6ft high so they must have been standing on a bench or something l havent seen any kids but they do have grandkids who visit so i thought maybe if i plant some confer trees back of the fence it might deter them otberwise i have to have a word with them butit would improve the look anyway as the back fence looks a bit bare so ,what sort should i buy that grow quick and dont need much looking after or what other plants?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
  2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,571
    I wouldn't bother with conifers. I'd look to plant native hedging plants, say hawthorn, sloe, hazel and put them in 3 ft or so from the fence. Would grow quite quick, present more of an obstacle, encourage native wildlife and probably not much more work than conifers.
    Your boy might take an interest in it as it will constantly change.
    On a radical note: have you considered inviting them round to play with your boy.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    Unless your going to buy large plants the two kids in question will probably be doing other things by the time it reaches the top of the 6ft fence.

Can you not add a couple of ft of trellis somehow and grow some climbers.

4. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +614
    Hi all thanks I got a climber but as Nigel suggested Hawthorne great idea thanks