Confused about fertilizer

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Danny Hughes, Jan 22, 2023.

1. Danny Hughes

Danny Hughes Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hello,

I rook a part of my lawn and decided to turn it into a micro orchard. I have small fruit trees that will be heavily pruned to keep them under 2m (apple, pear, plumb, persimmon, peach, apricot, cherry, quince and pawpaw). I'm leaving the grass under the trees for now, and for some colour, I planted lots of daffodil bulbs under the lawn.

I tested the soil and its pH 6.5, which seems fine, but with very low levels of soil nutrients. Which fertilezer should I add? It wasn't clear to me as the trees and daffodils have conflicting requirements.

- Danny

Edit: Oops, I see I posted in the wrong place, but I can't work out how to move or delete it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,303
    Hello Danny, before adding anything, make sure that each tree has a circle of clear soil (about 1m diameter if poss) over it's roots. No point feeding the grass! Once you've fed the trees in early spring, mulch with any organic material you can get hold of to suppress weeds and keep in moisture. As for fertiliser, if you're wanting to keep the trees small, avoid high-nitrogen feed. Look for a balanced NPK or one that errs on the side of high 'K' = potassium = fruit and flowers, and 'P' = phosphate = root development :)
    The expensive, slow-release option is blood, fish and bone but do check the NPK values..they vary from make to make. Then there are proprietary granular fertilizers sold specifically for fruit. Growmore is the cheap option, better than nothing but rather high N(itrogen). I wouldn't worry about the daffodils...they're tough bulbs.

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    • Danny Hughes

Danny Hughes Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +10
      Perfect! Thanks for the info.

• Friendly Friendly x 1