Confused bulbs!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Louiseness, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Louiseness

Louiseness Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

So, I planted plenty of bulbs in pots in about mid September-ish, in the 'lasagne pot' multi-layered style so that I'd different flowers blooming throughout spring/early summer.

However, some of my bulbs have decided that they don't want to wait till spring! Evidence:

[​IMG]

I know that there are gladioli and grape hyacinths in here, and I can't quite remember but it's quite possible that I planted some supposedly spring-flowering crocuses and maybe some January-flowering daffodils too. I suspect crocuses, am I right?

Is there anything I can do to help these little guys, or are they a lost cause?

There are crocuses in all three pots which are all in the same place on the decking. None of the others have decided to make an early appearance. Help!

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,862
    Those early shoots actually look a little like regular hyacinths to me but I'm often wrong (ask the missus). Nothing you can do so let them do their business and hope they don't croak. Or crocus lol

3. Louiseness

Louiseness Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    A quick update: Ugh! I think pretty much all of these bulbs have started to come up, darn things :DOH: I'm pretty sure they're crocuses as they're the only bulb I planted in all three pots. Presumably the weird fluctuating weather and warmness through September/October has convinced them it's spring?

Well, despite their best efforts I guess I'll be REALLY impressed if they flower!

4. stylemichelle21

stylemichelle21 Apprentice Gardener

self employed
    Ratings:
    +4
    I suppose, if nothing else, it will be an interesting experiment!

5. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having the same 'trouble' Louiseness:scratch:Mine are daffs.I planted them a good 10"/12" deep...surely i planted them deep enough:dunno:

6. olivia99

olivia99 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the same thing with some tulips we planted in October - some were bulbs left over from last year but some were new from Homebase and we followed the instructions... Hope they last and manage to flower! We have had a surprisingly warm autumn which I guess is the cause of the early shooting.. :/

7. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    I mentioned a few weeks ago that I saw white daffodils in bloom in a garden .... (double checked, and they are definately small white daffodils) ... not a garden where I work, but a neighbour of a client

not sure why they are blooming so early, perhaps they were transplanted from pots?

8. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Apologies for the naff pic, but it's late & dark out in the garden, but I've got grape hyacinths flowering:

[​IMG]

9. olivia99

olivia99 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I know it's been a while since this thread was started but I had a thought - if the early starting bulbs are likely to rot or at least not grow/flower properly as they've started shooting before the winter frost/snow, would putting them in a greenhouse protect them more? It's just our tulips are really growing fast now and we spent a fair bit of money on them and would love to see their beautiful colours (they're one of my fave flowers!). They're all in containers, not in flower beds, so it'd be fairly easy to move them into the greenhouse when the weather gets worse. Would this help at all??

10. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Although tulips bulbs are frost hardy, I don't think the emerging young plants would be, so it might be a good idea to put your pots into the greenhouse for safety. A covering of fleece, if it gets really cold, might help too.

11. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    the whole weather is messed up

I'm planting some tulips, daffs, anemones etc on saturday ...
    the lady will be having a wedding in april, and will be using her garden as the venue .... and i am hoping that they will be in bloom? ... (she bought them today .... some real nice ones such as black and white tulips)

I told her that i don't guarantee they will be in full bloom .... as the weather has been a bit messed up ...

12. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
  13. Pixie

Pixie Gardener

Ratings:
    +400
    I peeked in my 'blow away' plastic greenhouse yesterday and my gladioli and lillies are starting to come through! :gaagh: I'm hoping my 'blow away' greenhouse doesn't blow away tonight as it's blowing a gale out there!

14. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Most interesting, Dim, it looks like America is having the same warm temperatures as we are having in the UK.