Confusing climber growth

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rosa, May 18, 2009.

1. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi all, ive got a montana growing as you can see but whats these other thicker ones, ive been told its a honeysuckle but ive never planted one on my balcony, very confused.

[​IMG]

2. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
  3. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Rosa,I have just looked at my Montana Clematis and the leaves are in a group of three leaves per part of the stem.Yours looks like it has two leaves,although you have stems that look like they want to go scambling.Your plant should be in flower now if it is a Monta so you either have a later flowering variety of Clematis or it is a Honeysuckle in which case you will need to wait until it does flower and then take some more photos:)

Looking at the pale colour of some of the the leaves a feed wouldn't go amiss.:D

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi kandy, i do feed once a week, will see what happens and iff i get any buds i will get pics, maybe it a summer flowering clematis but it looks like a montana, i bought 2 1 died off but this one is growing well but just no flowers as for that other part that is climbing it does look very much like honeysuckle but were it came from i just dont know, maybe someone else could bring some light into this confusing situation

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Rosa,

My montana isn't in flower yet-but I got it from B&Q so theres no guarantee it's even a clematis lol !

I see why someone would think it's a honeysuckle. There is a long shot that a bird has dropped a seed into the basket.

6. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi lollipop, mine was definately a montana as i bought it with the montana flowers on it, i cant imajine a bird dropping a seed as my tubs are inside my balcony and birds just dont come near my balcony, i hear woodpidgeons but they sit on the roof above me, ive tried to look at both climbers but cant see were that other one is coming from as they both are inter-mingled as kandy said i will have to wait till each flower so as to see which is which, i used to have a honeysuckle a few years ago but it grew teribble and i changed my balcony and pulled it out.

7. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Rosa, I have had another look at my Honeysuckle outside the back door and your spacing of the leaf pairs on the stems look like the same as mine so you either have both a Clematis and a Honeysuckle.Your leaves definetly don't look like my Montana leaves though:scratch::cnfs::D

8. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    kandy cant understand this, maybe i got muddled and put montana at other side and thats a different clematis growing as for the honeysuckle i dont know were that came from as im pretty sure i didnt buy another one, looks like ive ended up with a free one maybe the birds have thrown seeds around hehe

9. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Rosa,It could be a seed blown in by the wind.Not everything is carried in by the birds:D Nice if it is a free one because we have spent quiet a bit on the ones we have had to buy,although we have a Chickory? {Chickery?}plant growing in our front garden that we can only assume came from our wild bird seed as we know we never bought one and we have kept it because it has beautiful blue flowers on it each year in the summer:D

10. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Possibly Rosa-but, I have just been out specifically to have a look at the montanas again-I have a warwickshire Rose-and it definitely isn't flowering-I didn't buy that from B&Q but from a posh garden centre (well it cost me £20 so it better had be), and the leaves look similar to yours-on both the posh one and the B&Q one ( a white one)

11. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    kandy my friend said a seed could of been blown from birds, this climber its quite a size normally they dont grow as quick as that sure dont know whats going on.

lollipop ive looked at other peoples montanas when i was out and they look the same colour as mine thats growing and the same shape leaves.i bought mine from peter barratts could it maybe be establishing itself.
    £20 for a rose ohhh my do hope it flowers is it a climber or not.

12. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    The seed might have already been in the pot with the plant when you bought it.

13. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hey sweetpeas thats an idea cos its funny how they are bothy growing together at the top of the fence, seems like its a feasable explanation, just been out to take more pics of my montana and my kodak camera looks like its packed up on me, will have to now use my fuji camera.

14. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    [​IMG] Clematis Montana "Warwickshire Rose"

It can be a little confusing calling a clematis a rose but hey............the naming of flowers isn't my strong suit.

15. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    heres pics of the leaves which i assume is a clematis montana what do you think and lollipop thats a lovely pink clematis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]