Confusing, this recycling malarky

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Harmony Arb, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Black wheelie-bin for non-recyclable waste collected weekly.
    Green wheelie-bin for garden waste collected weekly.
    Green bag for recyclable household stuff and cardboard collected fortnightly.
    Little plastic bag for all cooked & uncooked food collected weekly.

:scratch:

Anyone else have similar or is this pretty much the way it is nationwide? Does my chuffing head in... especially when the missus says that 'doing the bins' is my job. You'll soon need a degree in household waste management before long. And you get fined if it's wrong. The cheek. :(

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,457
    I'm happy to sell you a correspondence course on recycling :thumb:.

When you have completed the degree course you will get a genuine certificate (small extra charge) and you can always do a post-grad as well.

Only GB £ accepted not GC £. :D

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    And she`s quite right too Matt, it is your job. But if it makes you feel any better here we have a black bin, a green bin, a burgundy bin ( must have been having an arty day at council refuse office) and a beige bin, we also have a recycling paper bag and a green tub for glass.

As our council is one of the councils that had money in those Iceland banks, one starts to understand why our council Tax is so extraordinarily high.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Very true treesurfer, if they want us to recycle they should make it as easy as possible.

Not how it is at the moment, the most confusing and awkward mess that could ever have been dreamed up.
    Where are you supposed to store all these different bins anyway.

And they dont take glass around here so bottles still have to be taken to the supermarket recycling area and be put, one at a time through that rediculously small hole, that most people miss.
    So you are standing knee deep in broken glass while your doing it.

Where is health and safety when you need them.

5. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Reckon I've got off quite lightly then, lollipop73. Beige and burgundy be damned. Recycling is oviously a good thing, but by chuff it's not the easiest or most house-friendly thing to do.

6. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    We've only got a recycling box and the normal dustbin.

Council will collect glass, cans and paper but not cardboard or plastic bottles. No garden rubbish collection unless youwant to pay 75p for a small bag of garden waste to be collected

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    We have hardly any need to recycle much, I keep everything-you`ll be seeing me on Life of Grime shortly no doubt

8. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Mrs. Trebus is it? :D

9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    He was my favourite guy in telly for ages. He got lots of fan mail you know.

10. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    V. sad story though, especially after all he'd been through. :(

11. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Anyway, back on track - You'd have thought that there would be some sort of national scheme where all councils recycle the same items, using the same coloured bins. I can't understand why there's so much differentiation amongst them all.

12. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Sad that it`s too late now-we can`t afford another rise on council tax to pay to have them all painted properly, and knowing councils they`ll spend a fortune arguing about which colours are best. Oh well.

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Each council does their own thing we have just changed to a new scheme we have a large blue bin collected 2 weekly for all recyclable materials,paper, cardboard,glass all colours,tins,plastic bottles it gets sorted at the other end,a large black bin collected weekly for any stuff not for recycle,a green bin collected fortnightly for green garden waste,Imanaged to keep hold of the small waste paper wheelys we used to use and now keep compost in them dead handy.

14. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I just have 2 bins ( with the option to buy a brown one too) one emptied each week.
    Black for general waste but during the winter months they collect glass the day after it's emptied.
    Green for recycling, paper, plastic, cardboard and for 9 months of the year they collect garden waste the day after.

They did do a blue bag for paper but they gave up on that idea after a few months and they didn't actually collect on my street :cnfs:

15. Prastio

Prastio Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It all goes in the same hole in the ground, anyway. The coloured bins are just another way of creating lots of non-jobs paid for from our taxes. If you do a proper cost analysis, including cost of bins, extra collections, water to rinse out bottles, rain forests of paper telling you how to save paper etc it's all a big con.