Conifer pruning - help needed!

Discussion in 'Trees' started by lxndr, Sep 5, 2012.

1. lxndr

lxndr Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm something of an enthusiastic beginner when it comes to gardening. I have a very small garden but have been trying to make the most of it. About three or fours years ago I planted a couple of what I think must be conifers (see photos) and generally they did well but grew very slowly. This last year both of them have suddenly started to grow much faster and my concern is that they will get too big. So my question is basically do I have any options, other than removing them which I'd prefer not to do. For example, are they suitable for pruning or if not could I perhaps uproot them, put them in pots and then replant the pots as a means of restricting growth. Any useful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've included 2 pics of the trees in question (not 100% certain but one might be Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' (dwarf cypress)) and an overall shot of the garden showing how they are sited.

conifer1.jpg conifer2.jpg
    garden600.jpg

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,892
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner lxndr. :) Conifers tend to be very hungry trees so potting them up is not really an option. As they grow they will extend their roots and sap nutrients and water from the garden soil, which will in turn sap the same from the surrounding plants.

You can prune them to bring them back within the limits you want, but they will put on new growth. Pruning will also encourage root growth.

Personally, I'd dig them out completely. Most conifers are not suitable for small gardens because of the root spread that can eventually damage drains and footings to the surrounding buildings.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    If you clip them they will look like clipped Topiary, and thus will loose their natural look.

You could sell them on eBay ("Buyer to dig up and remove"), and you may well get a handsome price - they are nice looking conifers, and slow growing, so anyone wanting decent sized plants will pay the asking price.

Then use the money to buy some replacements :)